Petals coming off from the sabots when shot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webfoot

Reaction score
I am shooting a CVA Accura v2 nitride barrel. 290 gr. Barnes TEZ on top of 110 gr. volume of BH 209.
All 4 petals come off from the sabot on every shot. Is this anything to be concerned about?

If your accuracy is good, not really. It becomes a problem if they seperate when you ram. You'll know it when it happens. You suddenly lose ram tension. Your load of BH209 is pretty stiff. Air resistance can shear off petals in flight if the sabot is going fast enough

New one on me. What brand of sabot is it or is that what it comes with? I've had them stick to the bullet and hit the target but never separate. Mike

I shoot 110 grains BH209 with a 220 grain Bloodline, with an orange Harvester Crush Rib sabot for .458 bullets, out of my Accura V2. It takes a bit of effort to get down the bore, but it is reasonable. The petals separate every time when I fire, and I have gotten good accuracy with them. I'm getting ~2,082 fps with them. It is just my guess, but I think the hot load and thin sabots contribute to petals shearing off. I know the T-EZ sabots are thin as well.

Just to make sure that the petals weren't tearing off when I loaded the bullet/sabot, I removed the breach plug and pushed two bullet/sabots through the length of the barrel with my range rod. They weren't, thankfully.

Just my two cents.

I shoot 110 grains BH209 with a 220 grain Bloodline, with an orange Harvester Crush Rib sabot for .458 bullets, out of my Accura V2. It takes a bit of effort to get down the bore, but it is reasonable. The petals separate every time when I fire, and I have gotten good accuracy with them. I'm getting ~2,082 fps with them. It is just my guess, but I think the hot load and thin sabots contribute to petals shearing off. I know the T-EZ sabots are thin as well.

Just to make sure that the petals weren't tearing off when I loaded the bullet/sabot, I removed the breach plug and pushed two bullet/sabots through the length of the barrel with my range rod. They weren't, thankfully.

Just my two cents.
I used to lose petals too shooting my 54 knight with purple mmp sabot and 50 cal hornaday tipped bullets . Accuracy was awesome w / 110gr T7 3F . It was a solid 160 to 170 yd gun easy , maybe more . If accuracy is there dont worry about it . Iirc my petals were .020 thick maybe less and thats not much .

Once the sabot leaves the barrel... it’s job is done.

I would not worry about it.
True . What to watch is the base of the sabot for signs of push through gettin ready to happen or burnt through edges on the bottom seal . Better back that load down or find a different sabot . Maybe even mmp sub bases when your REALLY burning alot of powder with a heavy bullet and / or a smaller dia. one . Best accuracy is almost always found with a bullet that requires a thin sabot petal , and they sometimes tear off , especially when the loads gettin warm .

Last edited:
True . What to watch is the base of the sabot for signs of push through gettin ready to happen or burnt through edges on the bottom seal . Better back that load down or find a different sabot . Maybe even mmp sub bases when your REALLY burning alot of powder with a heavy bullet and / or a smaller dia. one . Best accuracy is almost always found with a bullet that requires a thin sabot petal , and they sometimes tear off , especially when the loads gettin warm .
Encore50a brought up a good point this a.m. in a conversation this morning about sabots . He has/had an ultimate firearms mz with a brake on it , radial , that would tear up the sealing edge of sabots from the escapeing gas . The sabots were mmps . Accuracy was not affected by this because the sabot and bullet were exiting . I have that brake on my custom bk92 and never had seen anything like this before .Our internal diameters are no doubt different on those brakes as well . However i use the harvester sabots for the savage smokeless . I find this very weird . It makes sense why theyd be tore up . It also really doesnt make sense why mine arent . I dunno......
Figured id share this just the same just in case someone has a braked mz .

Last edited:
I get a perfect, scalloped edge on my sabot skirts from my break on my Scout V2. I get two tears in the skirt from my MagnaPorted Encore barrel. Both use Harvestor sabots; neither affects accuracy in these two barrels. The Encore barrel was already ported when I bought it and thought I might have to have it cut back and crowned, but it overlaps bullet holes at 100 yards.

Back