Plastic Sabot Part Questions???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFM

Reaction score
Another question about matching the sabot to bullet?

How does one know which plastic sabot is the right one for a bullet? I have visited MMP but not knowing how to know and what to measure to get the size of the Projectile size to match it up with the right sabot... I have some sabots but they don't seem to be the right one for the projectile / bullet being it sits deep into the sabot and some of the sabots are taller than others though they are all black in color... Is the Black ones one size or they all different sizes and colors...

Being projectiles / bullets are all different diameters how do you know what bullet is the right for what sabot... Can anyone give some information on how to best match these up? Sabot to Bullet or Bullet to Sabot?

How tight a fit is needed, snug but not so hard you can barely get the sabot/bullet down the barrel and in place?

Just want to be using these safely...

Thanks in advance,
Mike / LFM

The way I determine what sabot is best is dry loading. I pull the breechplug and run a solvent and dry patch down the barrel so the barrel is clean and dry. Then I load the bullet in question with whatever sabot I want to try. When a bullet loads with resistance but not over easy then it's right. You do waste a few sabots doing this. After this of course is the final test and that's shooting it at the range.

It's interesting to note that this only applies to 50 calibers. You don't have the sabot choices in any other caliber that 50 does.

Patrick White said:
It's interesting to note that this only applies to 50 calibers. You don't have the sabot choices in any other caliber that 50 does.

Good point Patrick!

What it be a good idea to buy a digital caliper to measure the exterior of the bullets base and then buy the closest matching plastic sabots from MMP or a supplier that has them.

Where might I find a digital caliper to do this? Again Novice Asking???

Just trying to get all I can out of a sabot/bullet/powder charge and the Knight Disc Rifle...

Thanks for the information...

Regards,
Mike / LFM

The base isn't what is hard to load. The base expands upon ignition to seal the gas, but the petals/bullet is what is important for loading pressure. To get an idea of the combo diameter you have to measure the bullet in the sabot.

Back