Please Help!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkhillbilly

Reaction score
I have a new Omega Stainless/Laminate. Started out shooting 150 gr Pyrodex Pellets and groups were about 2 1/2". I have tried several loads and this one, shooting 110gr loose Pyrodex and 250 gr SW shoots at an inch or a little less.

I got this group after a fouling shot then a windex patch followed by 2 dry patches. Subsequent loading is not a problem. If people think these Omegas load tight they should try loading one of my old Knights for a second shot while in a cheap seat tree stand.

Now for the problem, I have no idea where the first shot is going. After reading that after loading following the bullet with an oil patch (removing the patch of course) this would foul the barrel properly. However this shot impacted 5" above my later shots. (Increased velocity somehow??? windage was dead on.) Without oiling the bore the first shot hit 3" low.

I am not new to muzzleloading and with my previous Knights I would always just sight in from a cold barrel and not worry about it. However I have burned over the years one helluva lot of powder trying to get the first shot to group with the others and I still havent figured it out. Your thoughtful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Prior to loading my Encore (basically same barrel as Omega) and any muzzleloader for that matter, I clean swab out the barrel with rubbing alcohol to remove the oils. All that I have read and tried you don't want any oil in the barrel when shooting or hunting.

My current Encore load is two pyro pellets and .452/300 XTP/Harvester crushrib sabots. First shot out of clean barrel is in the bull at 100 yds and second shot with dirty barrel is touching the first shot. Works for me!

I will try that. I agree the oil in the barrel was a bad idea and it would really be a bad idea if it contaminated the powder. I certainly appreciate your response.

No problem, hope it works! Give the Harvester crushrib sabots a try too, you won't be sorry. The group above is really some fine shooting by the way!

I always shoot a fouling shot without a bullet, and THEN load up my hunting charge. Swab the bore as dry as possible with a clean patch, snap a primer, then pour 40-60gr of loose powder then fire that off. Now load your hunting charge. I killed a pronghorn at 208yds doing it exactly that way! This is what I ALWAYS do...

Latest posts

Back