Poll NE 460 or 350 FPB for Elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460gr NE or 350gr FPB for Co. Elk

• 460gr NE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 350gr FPB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

omegaman

Reaction score
which would you use? T/C Omega 110gr BH209 and a 350gr FPB or Knight KRB7 90gr 2f 777 and 460gr NE. Omega and BH209 shoots 1.5 to2" groups at 100yds Knight and NE460 a bit better....

I am not sure that either one of them will shoot that well from a Omega with a QLA... all you can do is try. My Omega seems to do alright but it is a far better sabot gun. But if they both shot equally well from the gun - I would go with the 460, actually I would go with the 460 either way. It truly has enough lead to to the job...

I am pretty sure the FPB might pancake like a PB, (and that is pure speculation on my part as I have not shot any FPB's) while the 460 will retain some of the shank and get very good penetration...

I will be hunting with a 350 grain FPB this fall, but that is mainly because I will be hunting bucks first and a cow elk second. While I would not hesitate to shoot a bull or cow with a FPB, if I could get a 1" group at 100 yards with a NE bullet, and I was hunting elk only, I would go with the NE, no question. It has a proven track record with devastating terminal performance. I would also limit my shots to a tad over 100 yards.

That said, when I tried to shoot NE with my KRB, the bullet was loading with only slightly more pressure than the weight of my ramrod. I wasn't sure I felt comfortable taking that into the field. Could the bullet come off the load in the field? Don't know.

However, havent' tried it yet, but someone suggested wrapping the NE with something like teflon tape. That should keep in secure and they claim it will not affect accuracy.

sabotloader,
Mike, all 3 of my TC's shoot the FPB to a minute of angle or better with 110 gr BC it is the best shooting ,flatest shooting conical in my TC's and thats with no wad, no corn meal, no lube. It has a .289 BC and a good SD I just might use it instead of sabots for all hunting this year ,thinking abot it any way. Lee

omegaman
Try them at 175 yds or more that will tell the tale. Lee

Since he will be hunting open sights in Colorado, not sure distances of 175 matter much. They don't for me anyway. IMHO, only 1 or 2 guys in 100 have any business shooting out to 200 yards with a muzzleloader and open sights. I am certainly not in the 1 or 2.

txhunter58 said:
Since he will be hunting open sights in Colorado, not sure distances of 175 matter much. They don't for me anyway. IMHO, only 1 or 2 guys in 100 have any business shooting out to 200 yards with a muzzleloader and open sights. I am certainly not in the 1 or 2.

+1

I had a deer in my open sights @ 165 yards and its just to much.

To each his own I don't really like long shot period, but I competed for many years at the Hawken and Mountain man matches at Friendship and I have taken several deer and a bear at that distance. My iron sights are of my own making of the open top peep design; center of the peep is on at 100yds and the points above the hole where it is opened to make it legal in competition are dead on at 175, it works for me. Lee

"but I COMPETED for many years at the Hawken and Mountain man matches at Friendship and I have taken several deer and a bear at that distance."

That says it all! You are definately qualified to take those shots. I am talking only about me and most other guys. You truly are in a unique club. My slant is that I don't want youngsters just starting out thinking they can take 200 yard shot with open sights. For those, like you, that have the "right stuff", go for it. If everyone just knows and sticks to their OWN limits, everything should work out.

txhunter58
That is exactly right. I thought it might be good to mention that because haveing a sight set up like that and either being good at range judgement or haveing a laser range finder can help increase peoples capabilpties. Lee

Still need to log some more range time with the 350 FPB's ....leaning more towards the KRB with 460 NE but like the idea of using the BH209 with the 350 FPB....

This is an interesting question since I would expect both to pass through and exit on a good double lung shot, I think it will partly be where do you hit them if you go for shoulder shots the 460 might be best but lf you have to take a long shot there is no doubt in my mind that the FPB with its higher velocity would retain it velocity better as well as shooting flatter.
The only thing I would use a shoulder shot on is Griz. Lee

txhunter58 said:
How do the NE's load in your gun. Tight enough that you feel comfortable they won't slip some under hunting conditions?
They load easy, but don't think loose enough to slip....

The Hornady FPB is a COMPLETELY untried/untested bullet on game ESPECIALLY on an ELK for Pete's sake(sorry Pete! :lol: ). Of course THEN the tip has to be cut flush with the front of the bullet or removed altogether...that could change the bullets performance on game. The No Excuses 460gr .50cal lead conical is a NO brainer IMO. Penetration is of UTMOST importance...here the 460gr No Excuses will deliver. Easy choice for me.

Because the Omega with the FPB is new, and there is little know about the terminal ballistics of the load on LARGE game, I voted for the NE 460 grain.

With the 90 grains of powder in that Knight, and a NE, that is a killing load. That big chunk of lead will have excellent penetration, excellent energy at target, and will expand and make a nice large wound channel. Put that NE in the heart lung area, and you better have a skinning knife.

I have shot both of these bullets, the 460 No Excuses extensively, the Hornady FPB just a couple times. I would go with the KNOWN variable when it comes to elk hunting. Like others already stated, the Hornady FPB is NEW, and UNKNOWN as to terminal performance.

Do I think the Hornady FPB is capable of taking an elk, yes, but I know what a big ole 460 NE will do. Besides, you can crank up the 460 if you want to, you will have to keep your powder charge down a bit on the 350 FPB IMO.

I have shot both of these bullets into my little torture chamber,
I don't have a pic in my files of the 460, but I have a 430 grain White conical that looks similar when expanded. The FPB did well, better than I expected I will post pics of also. This test is just a qualifier for any bullet I will consider hunting with, and lesser bullets have failed.

White 430 grain Super Slug, 80 grains 777 FFFG
038.jpg

Hornady FPB, 80 grains BH209
015-4.jpg

017-4.jpg

For comparison, the Hornady/TC 300 grain SST/Shockwave, 80 grains BH209
018-3.jpg

020-6.jpg

And a .45 cal Hornady 300 gr XTP/MAG, 80 grains BH209 (these are tough)
025-3.jpg

Question for you Colorado guys...

What stores are carrying the FPB's on the shelf?

your guess is as good as mine.

Walmart is supposed to get them but seeing how they are so anti around here, i havent seen jack squat for muzzleloading stuff from trinidad all the way up to springs.

Busta
The FPB will shoot accurate with 120gr of BH209 in my TC's what kind of terminal preformance do you think they will give?
I would like to try then on boar if I can find someone interested in planing a trip [none in this county] the closest spot to hunt them is about 50 miles the good spot is about 125mi. Lee

Back