Poll NE 460 or 350 FPB for Elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

460gr NE or 350gr FPB for Co. Elk

• 460gr NE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 350gr FPB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
frontier gander said:
your guess is as good as mine.

Walmart is supposed to get them but seeing how they are so anti around here, i havent seen jack squat for muzzleloading stuff from trinidad all the way up to springs.

I'm in the Srings so I'll post if I can find some. Sportsman's Warehouse doesn't have them. Interesting about WalMart possibile having them. There are only 3 WalMarts in C.S. that I know of that carried ML stuff last year. Not all stores carry guns or shooting supplies anymore.

Decided to go with the KRB and 90gr 2f 777 and the 460 NE....loads easy shoots tight and no variance from a clean bore to a fouled....besides I bought the damn thing to hunt elk with this year might as well use it!

You are in the same shape as me! Bought a KRB because the Omega wouldn't work with the conicals available, and now there is one that will work! I am with you, I am taking my KRB. However, since my main goal is a timberline buck, I am going with the FPB's.

However, I have heard only accolades on the 460 NE and elk. Don't think you will be dissapointed.

I am shooting 85 grains of 2f 777 and a Bullshop 460 grain NEX bullet which is very similar to the No Excuses 460. My KRB cosistently puts them in inch and a half groups. Sometimes it puts them side by side or in the same hole! You will not be disappointed!

NE

My vote is for the NE 460. I recently took the 338grn Powerbelts and the NE 460's out to the range with my Knight KRB7. I the powerbelts shot OK out of the rifle basically good enough to hunt with. Then I moved to the NE 460's with 100grn of 777. After getting her all sighted in at 100 yards open sights I took a 3 shot group at 1 1/2". I was very very impressed with this load. I then put the KRB7 on the Lead Sled and took the NE 460 out to 200 yards with open sights and was getting some good groups. This is my first time trying the NE 460's and this is the load I am using for Elk here in a few weeks. And yes where I hunt I will take a shot at 200 yards with open sights as I have been practicing at 200 yards with open sights for a year now. I can consistently hit a paper plate at 200 yards with the open sights.

Re: NE

Muzzle said:
My vote is for the NE 460. I recently took the 338grn Powerbelts and the NE 460's out to the range with my Knight KRB7. I the powerbelts shot OK out of the rifle basically good enough to hunt with. Then I moved to the NE 460's with 100grn of 777. After getting her all sighted in at 100 yards open sights I took a 3 shot group at 1 1/2". I was very very impressed with this load. I then put the KRB7 on the Lead Sled and took the NE 460 out to 200 yards with open sights and was getting some good groups. This is my first time trying the NE 460's and this is the load I am using for Elk here in a few weeks. And yes where I hunt I will take a shot at 200 yards with open sights as I have been practicing at 200 yards with open sights for a year now. I can consistently hit a paper plate at 200 yards with the open sights.
What unit ya hunting?

Unit

Omegaman,

I am hunitng in Unit 15. What unit will you be hunting?

Unit

Omegaman,

Unit 19 should be real good for you. I have a friend and his dad that are hunting that unit. There are some big boys up there and if the rut is in full swing it should be real good.

Good Luck!

I've shot both of those bullets as well as the Bull Shop 460 and wouldn't feel under loaded with any of them. That being said, I'm leaning toward using the FPB for elk this year in my White Umag. I have about 60 of the FPB's and none of the other 2 right now and don't have a lot of time to get some more and sight in the gun so I'm locked in. With the peep sight setup I have, I feel confident to at least 200 yards. I test and practice to 200 yards with most of my guns and loads so I don't consider it a big mystery to shoot that far. With the FPB at 1700 to 1800 fps I get nearly 200 yards 8" point blank range at the altitudes I hunt at. With the NE's I get around 160 to 170 yards PBR at around 1500fps. I hope to have a successful hunting report in October to report back on.

This was from last go round in that spot....
elk2yw7hj7.png

It will be interesting to see the reports when some game is take with the FPB, they shoot very well and suprisingly flat for me of course thats only half the battle. Lee

While the FPB bullets are new and relatively untested by Joe Q Public, I have no doubt they will work on elk. Since elk have been taken with roundballs, I had no doubt that the FPB will kill the elk as dead as any other bullet. If they group well enough, I will be using them for my own elk hunt in October. In fact, they are the only conical I will consider using.

im going to go elk hunting in 6 weeks and Im going to see how the nozler 300gr shoot with a sabot tomorrow, sabotloader's got me fixed up, I have the white super 91 triple seven fffg powder rws primers, I will know in a day or two. If the white will shoot them.

Back