Powder for MK-85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtns2Hunt

Reaction score
Is there a new powder available to shoot in an old MK - 85 that is similar to BH 209? I want to shoot my MK again but do not want to go back to Pyrodex. I have heard that there is another powder but have not been able to get any information on it. If I remember correctly I believe someone said it was called Black Molly?

I am aware that BK 209 is not safe to user in an inline muzzle loader and do not intend to do so. Thanks for any help you can give me on this!

You are most likely referring to Black Mag and it is not available since the manufacturer's plant caught fire and they were shut down do to numerous safety violations.

I shoot pyro rs in my mk's. Works great. I know a lot of folks use 777 also. Either is a nice fit for the plunger guns, especially with #11's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtns2Hunt said:
Is there a new powder available to shoot in an old MK - 85 that is similar to BH 209? I want to shoot my MK again but do not want to go back to Pyrodex. I have heard that there is another powder but have not been able to get any information on it. If I remember correctly I believe someone said it was called Black Molly?

I am aware that BK 209 is not safe to user in an inline muzzle loader and do not intend to do so. Thanks for any help you can give me on this!

There is another powder out by Alliant that promised a whole lot - Black MZ! It is just another APP powder. I shoot T7-3f in all of my MK's and cap guns.

If your willing to swab between shots.. shot Triple Seven powder. If you don't want to swab you could try some American Pioneer Powder or Jim Shockey Gold. They claim you don't have to swab between shots.. but I have found sometime you have to swab the first eight inches of the barrel every five shots or so.

Thanks guys for the updated info. I guess what I was looking for is the Black Mag - but it does not do me much good if it is discontinued. I have been using BH 209 in my TC Pro Hunter and was hoping there might be a similar powder that could be used in a MK. I originally used Pyrodex which was okay but dirty. Never tried Triple 777, buddy tried Jim Shockly's gold and it did not work well for him. So I guess I will either wait and see if Black Mag returns or revert to Pyrodex.

Is Back Mag and black MZ the same?

777 works great in mine even with the 209 conversion kit. Shooting 90 grains of pellets, one 60 one 30 and 240 grain bullet.

Mtns2Hunt said:
Thanks guys for the updated info. I guess what I was looking for is the Black Mag - but it does not do me much good if it is discontinued. I have been using BH 209 in my TC Pro Hunter and was hoping there might be a similar powder that could be used in a MK. I originally used Pyrodex which was okay but dirty. Never tried Triple 777, buddy tried Jim Shockly's gold and it did not work well for him. So I guess I will either wait and see if Black Mag returns or revert to Pyrodex.

Is Back Mag and black MZ the same?

No they are two different powders, with Black Mag by far the better.

Latest posts

Back