Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STOP- Based on your question, you likely need some serious education before you start shooting muzzleloaders/black powder firearms!

I realize that you’re asking for information right here, but I’m not sure that this is the best place to get a complete education on black powder and muzzleloader shooting. Much of the discussion here is specialized discussion between folks who have been shooting muzzleloaders for years, or even decades.

EDUCATION MIGHT SAVE YOUR LIFE, LIMBS, OR THE LIVES AND LIMBS OF OTHERS NEARBY WHEN YOU ARE SHOOTING!

I don’t say that to insult you, but rather to help prevent a tragedy.

I hesitate to respond, only because I don’t know where to begin...

In short, smokeless is more powerful and/or generates higher pressures than black powder.

One basic rule is that you should only use black powder or an established black powder substitute (Pyrodex, Triple Seven, etc.) in muzzleloaders and black powder firearms.

That advice can help keep you from blowing yourself up.

There is a ton of good information on the internet. Searching for “black powder safety rules” will give you a good start.

There are numerous books available that will help you learn about black powder and muzzleloading firearms. That’s where I would start…

The “Lyman Black Powder Handbook” or “The Complete Black Powder Handbook” are good resources that are widely available, and can help you build a good foundation of knowledge. Your public library might even have a copy to loan you at no cost. If buying a copy, get the newest edition available.

The NRA, National Muzzleloading Rifle Association (NMLRA), firearm and powder manufacturers will also have great educational materials available.

It’s a great pastime, and can be done safely, but there will always be the risk of serious injury or death. The texts can help instill some basic safety knowledge, which will serve you as a starting point for the rest of your life.

I hope I didn’t come across as harsh or “preachy,” but you asked a very “loaded” question, so to speak! 🤠

Good luck!

Excellent post Jitterbug!! I saw this shortly after he posted it on my cell phone. Was sure someone would answer this better than I had time for, thank you!
Tony, if this is your first experience with muzzleloaders pay strong attention to the above advise!

First response pretty much nailed it.

The original question is sorta like

What is the difference between Gasoline and Diesel, I don't understand why can't I run Gasoline in my Diesel engine. They both are engine fuels.

Or

Why can I shoot .50 BMG in my .50 cal muzzle loader? I don't understand, they are both 50 caliber... so why can't I shoot either/both?

Or

why can't I shoot +p+ 9x19 NATO ammo in my antique, authentic Luger pistols? They were all made in Germany.

--------------

Please head the advice in the original post... or just read and follow your firearm's owner's manual/instructions. It was written by very competent folks who want you to have a safe experience.

STOP- Based on your question, you likely need some serious education before you start shooting muzzleloaders/black powder firearms!

I realize that you’re asking for information right here, but I’m not sure that this is the best place to get a complete education on black powder and muzzleloader shooting. Much of the discussion here is specialized discussion between folks who have been shooting muzzleloaders for years, or even decades.

EDUCATION MIGHT SAVE YOUR LIFE, LIMBS, OR THE LIVES AND LIMBS OF OTHERS NEARBY WHEN YOU ARE SHOOTING!

I don’t say that to insult you, but rather to help prevent a tragedy.

I hesitate to respond, only because I don’t know where to begin...

In short, smokeless is more powerful and/or generates higher pressures than black powder.

One basic rule is that you should only use black powder or an established black powder substitute (Pyrodex, Triple Seven, etc.) in muzzleloaders and black powder firearms.

That advice can help keep you from blowing yourself up.

There is a ton of good information on the internet. Searching for “black powder safety rules” will give you a good start.

There are numerous books available that will help you learn about black powder and muzzleloading firearms. That’s where I would start…

The “Lyman Black Powder Handbook” or “The Complete Black Powder Handbook” are good resources that are widely available, and can help you build a good foundation of knowledge. Your public library might even have a copy to loan you at no cost. If buying a copy, get the newest edition available.

The NRA, National Muzzleloading Rifle Association (NMLRA), firearm and powder manufacturers will also have great educational materials available.

It’s a great pastime, and can be done safely, but there will always be the risk of serious injury or death. The texts can help instill some basic safety knowledge, which will serve you as a starting point for the rest of your life.

I hope I didn’t come across as harsh or “preachy,” but you asked a very “loaded” question, so to speak! 🤠

Good luck!
Great post. Perfect!

The original poster (OP) didn't say he was going try smokeless in his muzzleloader, He was asking a reasonable question about why he couldn't.

There are probably thousands of people out there that don't know the difference between black powder substitutes and smokeless powder. In my opiinion this is a great place to ask that question. Where else is someone going to shorten the learning curve any faster? With BH209 cleaning up with Hoppe's just like a centerfire rifle and smokeless muzzleloaders on the market, it isn't surprising to see some confusion. I'm thinking the answer might be that muzzleloaders are made out of inferior steel and can't take the higher pressures of smokeless powders.

The original poster (OP) didn't say he was going try smokeless in his muzzleloader, He was asking a reasonable question about why he couldn't.

You’re right… but I wanted to make SURE he understood that he shouldn’t do it.

Plenty of time later for him to complete his black powder education… with all of his digits and limbs intact! 👍

Latest posts

Back