Precision Rifle: REVISITED

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimmy, can you go back to an original "un-headspaced" breech plug?

I would try that first if it can be done simply.

You have 2 options after that....

1 . Re-bed
2. Cut a small amount of barrel off. (or buy a new barrel)

My gut tells me the crown is screwing you up.

I purchased a NEF shotgun for SMI, but changed my mind and looked into NULA. I think I'm just going to buy a Savage.

Good Luck Jimmy,

Jon

Jon, the Savage is a great gun and a good place to start playing with smokeless powder muzzleloading :yeah:

Hi Jimmy,

If that can help, I had the same problem with the MAGIC... But I just made new adjustments of my pet loads, by ? 1.0 grain.

Then everything was great ( much better than before ).

I noticed that your vent had to be changed. Could it be the modification on the breech plug? I would certainly try a "regular" breechplug.

It would also be interesting to get comments from Cecil.

Hope the problem will be solved.

....................................................................Gerald........../

FrontStuffer1 said:
My gut tells me the crown is screwing you up.

This the only thing on the rifle that I would suspect. A cotton ball lightly dragged around the inside circumfrence of the barrel has shown NO burrs.

I'll be shooting more this weekend so hopefully we'll get it figured out.

geraldbergeron said:
Hi Jimmy,

If that can help, I had the same problem with the MAGIC... But I just made new adjustments of my pet loads, by ? 1.0 grain.

Then everything was great ( much better than before ).

I noticed that your vent had to be changed. Could it be the modification on the breech plug? I would certainly try a "regular" breechplug.

It would also be interesting to get comments from Cecil.

Hope the problem will be solved.

....................................................................Gerald........../

After the first range session I went back to my original breech plug and NEW vent liner.
I did notice in some other thread that some guys like to shoot with a clean barrel and fouled breech plug????
That is something I would not want to do but found interesting. Thanks for the comments and I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

Jim while doing stuff like that can make a small difference with a load, at least in my experience what you are dealing with is a gun problem not a procedure problem. But hey I could be wrong. I still think I would eliminate the scope as a problem first, then look real hard at bedding/harmonics.

In the interest of saving some time I varied 3 things on my Magic Savage.

1. I changed the scope. I mounted a Zeiss Diavari 1.75x-6x.

2. I changed how I torqued the bedding scres for the action and bolt release.

3. I utilized a different sabot and powder.

I can rule out a scope malfunction because last years load of 44 gr. of 5744 250 gr. SST and supplied sabot with a Fed. 209A primer still shot like crap. :puke:
DSC02507Small.jpg

Interestingly though I tried a new powder and bullet/sabot combo for me.
I shot 68 gr. of IMR 4198 a Harvester sabot (.45 cal 300gr. or less version) Fed. 209A Primer and a 300 gr. SST and I got this....

DSC02504Small.jpg

So things are at least looking slightly better :roll:

For a goof I shot a hurried group of Hornady Interlock .458's in the 350 gr. variety with 65 gr. of 4198 and an Orange MMP and got a moose thumping 2.5" group 8) I think if I back off this load a grain or two it may tighten up. I did not wait more thasn 5 min. between shots on this group.
DSC02505Small.jpg

Grouse said:
Your making progress Jim. :)

Yeah he IS! I wonder what velocity that 300gr SST/68gr 4198 is shooting? Better than 2300fps I'm betting...

Looking better Jimmy, when you get a cooler day to shoot I am sure things will get even better.

big6x6 said:
Yeah he IS! I wonder what velocity that 300gr SST/68gr 4198 is shooting? Better than 2300fps I'm betting...

I agree Chuck. That is why I'm hesitant to take this load to Vermont. Truthfully I'd feel more comfortable shooting the 350 gr. load.

Back