Question on BH209 weight vs volume

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraig

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm gonna be trying BH209 for my first time out of my new Mountaineer, and from everything I've read on here and other places is that measuring BH209 by weight is more accurate/consistent than measuring by volume. This obviously makes sense. I'm wondering though, just how much of a difference will I see in accuracy between weight vs volume? My plan all along was to do weight, but I was just curious about the volume thing is all. Is doing it by weight more of a critical thing for competition? Is measuring volume good for just hunting applications within 150 yards?

Looking into buying a balance beam scale...this sparked my interest.

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal opinion is measure by volume and how ever you do your volume measurements do it consistently.

Western powder recommends volume.

Ive been shooting blackhorn since it came out but recently learned from lot to lot of powder. Volume is more consistent per velocity .

bestill said:
My personal opinion is measure by volume and how ever you do your volume measurements do it consistently.

Western powder recommends volume.

Ive been shooting blackhorn since it came out but recently learned from lot to lot of powder. Volume is more consistent per velocity .

Is there a specific powder measurer you use that is very consistent?

I always measure by weight for convenience sake. Going to the range with pre-measured charge tubes. Either way is fine. Consistency is the key. T/ C U-View powder measure.

I believe it's 70 grains of BH209 by weight equals 100 grains of BH209 by volume. You have two choices.

I use volume as a rule, but I have pre-measured (by weight) loads of BH for range sessions. I truly have not seen any noticeable difference in the two. Certainly if you get the weight exactly correct it can't be a bad thing.

The 70 gr weight vs 100 by volume doesnt hold true from one lot of powder to the next.

I use a old style measure with thumb screw to adjust.

I set measure and pour fast as i can till runs over then wipe top flat and then put powder in blackhorn charge tubes.
I do this over a gallon bucket so dont lose powder.

Bestill is correct I talked to Blackhorn 2 weeks ago because my weights and volumes were not coming out the same from lot to lot . They told me Blackhorn is to be measured by volume not weight. They said they are in the process of changing all there info . I'm starting on my third 5 lb container of Blackhorn this year . In order to shoot the same weight I have shot from 90 grains of volume all the way up to 110 grains by volume to get the same weight . After talking to Blackhorn I'm not gonna worry about it anymore . I have been shooting 110 grains by volume here latley .

Thanks for all the help guys

Please correct me if i am wrong. For recreational shooters/hunters like myself, we need to fine tune our sight adjustments when we open a new bottle of Blackhorn from a different lot, if we measure our powder by weight. For competitive shooters who wish to use the same charts from match to match, and year to year, it is best to measure by volume. My practice load since around 1 February this year, has been 60 weighed grain Blackhorn. Now that i have finished a 5 pound bottle, and am opening a new five pound bottle, i need to be cognizant of fine tuning my sights for this new lot of Blackhorn, if i continue to load vials with 60 weighed grains. No problem.

When i load hunting vials with 75 weighed grain of Blackhorn this year, i will fine tune the hunting rifle sights, before i hit the dirt.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
In order to shoot the same weight I have shot from 90 grains of volume all the way up to 110 grains by volume to get the same weight

That's a large spread in volume for the same weight. It this caused by the manufacturing process or how the retailers are storing the powder (I've opened some where the seal seemed loose) or how the powder is stored after opening it? Since BlackHorn 209 is somewhat of a smokeless based powder, do other smokeless powders exhibit this same issue?

I just measured two 120gr loads by volume with my favorite brass swivel top measure. Then weighed them on the RCBS 505 beam scale, 83gr and 83.5gr, that's pretty much what I expected them to weigh.

Now this might be a dumb question, but if BH recommends measuring by volume over weight, wouldn't it still be affected the same as far as lot to lot of BH209? Not sure if I worded that to make sense or not

The reason the competition shooters are writing it is best to measure Blackhorn by volume, is because the velocity produced by equal volume of non equal lot of powder are the same. Measuring by volume always produces the same velocity even when using powder from different lots, is what they write. Measuring by weight requires adjustment, when one switches powder lot.

Kraig said:
Now this might be a dumb question, but if BH recommends measuring by volume over weight, wouldn't it still be affected the same as far as lot to lot of BH209? Not sure if I worded that to make sense or not

you would be correct with that assumption

Kraig said:

Do you have a link to where Western recommends by volume? I cant seem to find it. They do however specifically state it can be measured by weight.

GM54-120 said:
Kraig said:

Do you have a link to where Western recommends by volume? I cant seem to find it. They do however specifically state it can be measured by weight.

I don't have a link, I've just read it on here a couple times and that stuck in my head.

ronlaughlin said:
The reason the competition shooters are writing it is best to measure Blackhorn by volume, is because the velocity produced by equal volume of non equal lot of powder are the same. Measuring by volume always produces the same velocity even when using powder from different lots, is what they write. Measuring by weight requires adjustment, when one switches powder lot.

Exactly rite.

Western powder load data chart at bottom clearly states blackhorn recommends measure by volume .

bestill said:
ronlaughlin said:

Exactly rite.

Western powder load data chart at bottom
clearly states blackhorn recommends measure by volume

It does?
http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/ ... erdata.pdf

GM54-120 said:
bestill said:
ronlaughlin said:

Exactly rite.

Western powder load data chart at bottom
clearly states blackhorn recommends measure by volume

It does?
http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/ ... erdata.pdf

Good catch guess i cant read.
Delete my post please! Dont want to mislead anyone.
Thanks

I dont want to delete anything. Mainly because i believe you have done enough testing to give a very educated opinion on the topic. It is certainly possible volume will create better extreme spreads than by weight. Technique though is critical and by weight is easier IF you have a auto dispensing scale like mine.

In all honesty i would rather use a Redding like Ron uses. Its just as fast and far cheaper than a Chargemaster Combo. Its my opinion if anyone wants to get away from the typical BP volume measuring devices, the Redding 3BR looks like a great choice for BH209.

Latest posts

Back