question on powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex Dr.

Reaction score
being new to MLs

can some one point me in the right direction to find out differences

between powder

fff fffgg and such

im lost and now i shoot pryodex and 777 pellets

am i ok being in the dark or should i learn as much as possible

JD

ffg(2f), fffg(3f), ffffg(4f)...

Within brand types...the only thing different is the size of the granule. The more fs the smaller the granule.

Generally speaking the usages for each size:
ffg: .50cal or larger
fffg: less than .50cal
ffffg: pan on flintlocks..

As you get more fs the pressure goes up for the same wt(vol) of powder. If you are shooting conicals out of a 50 cal 100-150gs ff BP,Pyrodex or eq should do well. If 777, be sure to follow manfs instructions. Often 120-130gs will be about right. Don't go over the Manf's limit. If using pellets 100(2-50s) or 130(2 50s and 1 30) will often do better than 3 50s. The slight velocity increase is normally not that big of a deal. Often best accuracy/consistency is found with a carefully worked up load of Pyrodex P(a 3-f equavalent) . I'd start with 80-90gs with a 250g bullet such as a 250SST/SW. I've found 120-130gs has often been extremely accurate and fairly fast. So much depends on what gun you have. I'd tread much more lightly with a CVA,Traditions,Winchester that with a Knight,White,T/C,Savage, all of which have higher q/c IMO.
hpmuzzleloading.com has a lot of info on it.
Hope this helps.
PS: if you really want great performance, go to the smokeless section, read about them and consider getting a smokeless MLer. However, the non-smokeless MLers can provide great enjoyment and safety also.

cool

thanks i knew here i could get a fast easy answer

i currently have 2 omegas and 2 encores

all but one are set up for pellets and 295 gr powerbelts

but after the 1st of the year im gonna play with stuff just to see

thanks

JD

Though the 200SSTs/SWs in the 50 cal smokeless haven't done well, I've found them to do quite well in 50 cal T/Cs. My experience has primarily been with Pyrodex P, due to its extreme consistency and hi performance. Consider the Parker bullets if you are after the most in performance.

Back