recommendations for good binoculars

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10x42 is my choice. Brand depends on your budget. Unless you have owned or borrowed a pair of high end binos or scopes you really can't say. I've heard too many people say there is not enough difference to justify the price .99% of those people have never even held a set of high end binos.There is a difference. I would buy the best I could afford and be happy. Glass in a store setting tells you nothing. I would borrow a pair of what I thought I wanted and try them for what you were gonna use them for. If low light is not what you will be using them for, then you won't know the difference. I've owned a lot of brands and still do in scopes.I compare them side by side off my back deck as it's getting dark. That's when the difference shows.A lot of good mid priced glass that will serve you well. If your budget allows I would spend the extra cash to get top quality glass. Just my 2 cents based on years of comparison.

When you get to Denali National State Park you will find all the info you need. Or google it ahead of time. You can drive in part way but will be disappointed. If the washed out roads haven’t been repaired you won’t get to see it all. If I recall it’s about 8 hours round trip. Pack food and water. We had an excellent tour bus driver that explained every inch of the way. The wildlife was amazing. Pray for a clear sunny trip. They claim that less than 20% get a clear view of the mountain.
Good binoculars will help a lot.

I was a pro photographer for 25 years and an optician for 10. Lenses have been my life. You do not have to pay several car payments for good binocs but you can. While optics in the $800 and up range will give you a lifetime of superior imaging most of us will not appreciate the difference those lenses will bring. I will give you my take on binocs and you do as you will.
First, as you are going on a life adventure where every bit of space is at a premium go with roof prisms. They are more compact and offer the best quality for their size. As for budget you want to be in the at least $300 or thereabouts range. DO NOT get sucked in to buying anything in the $200 or less range or I think you will be disappointed. Many of the brands mentioned above are fine. My personal favorite are Leupolds but in a side by side comparison I found the upper level Carsons to be very good. Not so much the Vortex. As far as power goes I would recommend either 8 x 32 or 10 x 40. Yes you can save space and weight by going with smaller objective lenses but you will compromise some low light viewing as in early morning and late evening. One last caveat; most binocs in the $300+ range will have them but only buy binocs or rifle scopes that say "FULLY MULTI COATED OPTICS". There are many variations of that terminology manufacturers will use to confuse consumers so look for that designation word for word because it makes a huge difference in viewing quality.

I got rid of or gave away all of my Vortex , Steiner and Leupold when I I started using Leica. Gave my son the Leupolds binocs and spotting scope which are serving him well.
For my personal hunting I use the Trinovids. They have served me unquestionably well. 8x20’s. So clear most 10x other brands are not comparable. Plus great compact size.
On the other hand it’s undeniably a good choice with a Leupold and their warranty.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back