Sabot Mystery

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duhawki

Reaction score
OK guys, you've helped straighten me out about powders. Now, lets see what you can do with sabots. In my total of two trips to the range, I have only used MMP HPH-12s with my 50 cal SMI barrel and 200 grain Barnes XPBs. Other than being a bit too long, I saw nothing to complain about, but I continue to see references to 24s, Harvesters etc. What are the advantages, disadvantages, special purposes and so on for these different sabots? Ought I to try some other ones? Anybody ever apply a bit of silicon or other lube directly to the sabot?

HPH 24 and Harvester sabots are for for tight bore applications or if accuracy is not good. Never but never lube a sabot, it don't need it.

Duhawki said:
OK guys, you've helped straighten me out about powders. Now, lets see what you can do with sabots. In my total of two trips to the range, I have only used MMP HPH-12s with my 50 cal SMI barrel and 200 grain Barnes XPBs. Other than being a bit too long, I saw nothing to complain about, but I continue to see references to 24s, Harvesters etc. What are the advantages, disadvantages, special purposes and so on for these different sabots? Ought I to try some other ones? Anybody ever apply a bit of silicon or other lube directly to the sabot?

There are many combinations out there and you can make them fit the bore of your rifle by just playing with the different combinations. This list was posted on Doug's board but it is very helpfull in showing what some of the combinations are.

DC

.45 cal. .452 Bullets
HPH 12 = .505"
HPH 24 = .5035"
MMP short black = .5062"
Harvestor black = .5036"
Knight black = .5113"
Harvestor black crush = .5027"
Harvestor red crush = .507"

.45 cal. .458 Bullets
HPH 12 = .511"
HPH 24 = .509"
MMP short black = .5125"
Harvestor black = .5093"
Knight black = .517"
MMP orange = .5055"
Harvestor black crush = .5084"
Harvestor red crush = .513"

If the HPH12's are working for you but you think they're too long go to the MMP short black or clip the 12's to shorten them.

I've ordered some more 12s and some short ones from MMP. I wouldn't worry about the length except that the end of the bullet is so close to the sabot petals that most loading jags cannot be used. If the short ones don't work, I'll trim the long ones. I also ordered some Harvesters from Midway along with a bunch of other stuff I needed. Not sure which Harvesters I'm they'll send. More on this later.

Duhawki said:
I've ordered some more 12s and some short ones from MMP. I wouldn't worry about the length except that the end of the bullet is so close to the sabot petals that most loading jags cannot be used. If the short ones don't work, I'll trim the long ones. I also ordered some Harvesters from Midway along with a bunch of other stuff I needed. Not sure which Harvesters I'm they'll send. More on this later.
If your using a true .50 jag.switch to a true .45 jag and no trimming is necessary

Back