ENDS THE STUCK BREECH PLUG BLUES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I like using a portable hand steam cleaner that IdahoLewis recommends. I've used it and it also works great in cleaning the threads to breech plugs, breech plugs, nipples etc.

......For those wanting to use a brush to clean breech plug threads, there's a kit sold by Harbor Freight that will work and not allow the brush to unscrew.......

This is a great tip George! The brushes aren't threaded, and don't unscrew when turned counter clockwise. Threaded brushes come unscrewed; are frustrating.

This is a great tip George! The brushes aren't threaded, and don't unscrew when turned counter clockwise. Threaded brushes come unscrewed; are frustrating.
Thank you.
I've used the kit for more than just muzzleloaders. I had to clean a little rust from the inside of a 1" tube and used the SS brush for that with a drill. Its an outstanding kit. I believe I had posted those same photos quite awhile back and I think this is the 3rd time. IIRC Idaholewis bought the kit after I posted it someplace.
Well worth having.

I didn't read the whole thread. I use a CVA and BH 209. I leave the breech plug bone dry. No grease, oil, or tape. It never sticks. Even after 40 shots.

I wouldn't do this with any other powder. It's one of the advantages of a detuned smokeless powder.

I haven't been following religiously, but with most common rods and brushes, the brush may come unscrewed from the rod if turning it counter clockwise. If it came loose in the action it may have to be pushed out from the bore.

Also for those with some bolt rifles, you have to be careful about debris falling into the trigger assembly, especially a Jewell.

For those wanting to use a brush to clean breech plug threads, there's a kit sold by Harbor Freight that will work and not allow the brush to unscrew. Its found in the auto section. I would NOT advise using the stainless steel brushes. If necessary, which it might be for some bolt action rifles, they also sell an extension. These snap lock. Comes with nylon, brass and stainless brushes of different sizes.

View attachment 7526

View attachment 7527
Have you been following me around, Encore? I was just in Harbor Freight last night for a new brake bleeder pump and I found myself looking at that exact brush set thinking "there's my answer to a low-cost action brush for a few different rifles that I could turn either way."

I can probably find an extension rod coupler somewhere in a jar in the garage, 1/4" across flats, into which I could thread a nylon AR chamber brush, to then use in this kit. I could easily turn an external groove for the tool set's collet balls. Wouldn't matter if I had to bore out/re-tap threads, interference fit it, or just run it in hard over a dab of JB Weld, as long as it went in for good & wouldn't unscrew during counterclockwise turning. I have a Ruger American .223 (my personal sip from the giant cup of round-body bolt-actions flooding the economy rifle market lately) and while I'd have to be cautious without a bore guide, it would meet my needs there as well as cleaning my Sidekick breech, shotgun chambers & muzzle-end choke tube female threads, and hypothetically even an AR chamber & buffer tube if I ever get crazy & buy one of those evil black fully-semi-automatic concealed ghost assault machine guns with the 5.6 caliber 30 shell clip magazines. Of course, X number of wraps from a 99 cent roll of electrical tape makes a great bore guide, almost infinitely adjustable for diameter.

I know that's not a muzzleloader issue, but many of us shoot other stuff too. Encore has shared something that might turn out to be the Swiss Army Knife of chamber/breech/action cleaning tools. Maybe someone else has thought of it before, but it looks like an "a-HA!" kind of thing to me and it's going into my cart during this weekend's sale at Harbor Freight.

Have you been following me around, Encore? …………...

:) I actually have two sets, one of which I've had for quite some time. I think I posted about them originally quite some time back in a post. I think Idaholewis picked up a set awhile back also after I posted the photos for him in a forum. For the price, you just can't not have it.

I haven't been following religiously, but with most common rods and brushes, the brush may come unscrewed from the rod if turning it counter clockwise. If it came loose in the action it may have to be pushed out from the bore.

Also for those with some bolt rifles, you have to be careful about debris falling into the trigger assembly, especially a Jewell.

For those wanting to use a brush to clean breech plug threads, there's a kit sold by Harbor Freight that will work and not allow the brush to unscrew. Its found in the auto section. I would NOT advise using the stainless steel brushes. If necessary, which it might be for some bolt action rifles, they also sell an extension. These snap lock. Comes with nylon, brass and stainless brushes of different sizes.

View attachment 7526

View attachment 7527

I bought this exact same Kit Through ENCORES advise on another Forum quite sometime Back. Most of you guy’s know that i Shoot Real Blackpowder Exclusively in all of my Muzzleloaders, even in the Knight Mountaineer. This Tool/Brush Set is the SLICKEST setup i have Seen For Cleaning the Hard to Reach areas of inline Rifles (Breech, and Breech plug Threads) I use to DREAD this Part, This Brush set made Cleaning those Tough areas a SIMPLE, and Pleasurable Task. As they were recommended to me, I as well HIGHLY recommend this Kit for Cleaning an inline Rifle :lewis: I also agree with ENCORE on the Stainless Brushes that Come with the Kit, I Would NOT USE THOSE IN YOUR RIFLE!! The Nylon Brushes are all i used, they got the Job done with EASE!

Good idea boys !!! I bought the shotgun rod from a yard sale and witk blue loctite screwed a shotgun bore brush on 1 in 16ga and 1 in 12ga . Tightened them with pliers and now their dedicated just for that job . I really like the T--Handle but that Harbor Freight kits pretty nice too !!! Think i'll get one "Just Because" . Too many tools is a good thing !!!

Good idea boys !!! I bought the shotgun rod from a yard sale and witk blue loctite screwed a shotgun bore brush on 1 in 16ga and 1 in 12ga . Tightened them with pliers and now their dedicated just for that job . I really like the T--Handle but that Harbor Freight kits pretty nice too !!! Think i'll get one "Just Because" . Too many tools is a good thing !!!
What is this mystical "too many tools" condition, of which you speak? I simply cannot imagine such a state.

Its alot like having too many gooseberry pies --- simply cant happen !!! I just got Alot of tooling . Kinda obcessed a bit....and not good when i cant remember where i stashed what !!!! No kiddin , sometimes thats a real Problem !!!! I dunno , kinda embarassing.......Lol.......what it is . Need to label a few totes i suppose .

NatureNick, thanks for the numbers. I do not have a Harbor Freight nearby so I will see if they sell online or try to find similar products if I knew what to name them.

The product may well seal. However I removed the breechplug and I found the clean up a chore. The sealant was kind of like play dough and it did not come out readily. Had to use a variety of things to get the threads cleaned.
So it may well serve its purpose but the mess for me and clean up time will cause me to hesitate to use it again too quickly. Others may have better results

Bag the sealant. Use Teflon tape if you need to. Cleans up like a dream. Couple of wraps is all it takes. I agree with Sideshow on the lapped in joint, but it is a PITA to do it, and yes it will change head space, it has to, you’re removing material. Whether it makes a difference in your rifle or not, depends on the rifle.

The product may well seal. However I removed the breechplug and I found the clean up a chore. The sealant was kind of like play dough and it did not come out readily. Had to use a variety of things to get the threads cleaned.
So it may well serve its purpose but the mess for me and clean up time will cause me to hesitate to use it again too quickly. Others may have better results

I agree 100%, This Permatex 80632 Stuff does Work, But it’s definately not a “Cure All” I found that Nipples stil get TIGHT after long Shooting Sessions, It’s No better than Breech Plug Grease. I quit using this Stuff for the Exact reason you mention, it is difficult to Get Clean, and this is on Exposed Nipple threads that are easy to get at (i can imagine how nasty it would be inside an inlines Enclosed Breech plug Threads) Once I realized this, i changed my tune on using it (I told this to a few of my Closer friends on here Back when I figured it out) I should have come back to this Thread and updated it, But it was Buried and i left it at that.

I use CVA SLICK BREECH PLUG, NIPPLE GREASE Now Days, it works really well, easy to Clean up, and doesn’t Cost much

I read through this post and it is very interesting. A well thought out process.

It also made me very happy to be a cva owner. I have literally fired that rifle all day at the range with 0 breech plug issues.

My process is simple after every shot I crack open the breach plug and wipe the nice crunchy residue left by the "cleaner" muzzleloader primers. This is a part of the routine as is swabbing the barrel with alcohol and water.

When it's clean up time my breach comes out just as easily.

The one thing I do add good ol fashioned moly grease from Walmart. I use a VERY LIGHT coating on the cva breach.

I also use this on my cap and ball revolver nipples. Never an issue with nipples getting stuck. I use this grease on the arbor as well.

I have never had an issue with the black powder or triple 7 reacting to the moly grease.

If I don't swab the barrel then by the third shot sabots require too much effort to push down. Swabbing and removing the breach plug every shot makes shooting a pleasure.

Maybe I got lucky maybe it's just a CVA.

Also found this easier to use than the Teflon tape which normally shreds when I put in my breech plug. I could never get the Teflon tape thickness down. My breech plug would usually go into too tight. So I ditched the Teflon tape idea before I took one shot with it.

This container I purchased for a few bucks and it should last me a lifetime.

On as far as the 209 primers the CVA did come with a primer pry tool I've never needed to use it my fingers pull the primers right off.

16017954188747495986622675132312.jpg

I've been cleaning my CVA plugs and drying them well afterwards, then just screwing them in without anything on the threads and they come right out of the V2s using fingers after shooting. On the Kodiak which requires a removal tool the plug still comes out without any problem. There is minimal sooting on any of these plugs and the breech threads. I've tried the tape and different sealers designed for the plugs but have found that things are less problematic if I clean the guns right away when getting home from shooting them and I use only the BH209 powder if that even matters. I clean guns at the end of the hunting season if they've been fired and even after sitting for several days after having been fired the plugs don't fight.

Back