savage axis?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilsbury38

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the savage axis? Was wondering pros and cons and of coarse how it shoots. Thanks

Never shot one but I hear they are a good deal, from what I hear the triggers are supposedly not so good. Unfortunately they dont come with the accu-trigger.

Yeah I did some surfing of the Internet and read the same thing, just looking for something inexpensisive for my son to get into coyote and bobcat hunting. I did read that there is a spring that can be changed to help with the trigger

I did a lot on research on one. I came close to buying one. Good deal and it seems to be very accurate, but that's no surprise from Savage. Trigger is not good. It can be modified to improve it, but an after market trigger for $80 is a better way to go.

Although for an additional $80 I could probably buy a savage with a acutrigger. Just a thought. I have a tc venture that I am very happy with those are also fairly inexpensive.

I think you'd have to spend more than $80 for a Savage with an Accutrigger. The Axis is pretty cheap.

A had a Savage .270 two 10ml2's and a 17HMR with Accutriggers and I thought the Accutrigger was a sorry excuse for a good trigger.

I've heard that a few times too. Especially if you use it for hunting.

On my 17hmr the accu part of the trigger stuck out so much I could hardly get my finger in the trigger guard so I took it apart and removed that part of the trigger from the system and then it behaved like a decent trigger.

i have 4 savage axis rifles, and they shoot as good as my model 12s,that cost 900+ dollars. all of mine has had a rifle basix trigger installed and its 10x better than a accutrigger.

I have 2 Axis 22-250  and 308  both are great shooters.  I put a rifle basix trigger in both MOA shooters with both

I just bought a .270 Axis after saying I wouldn't ever buy one. As a lefty I have few choices and when the Axis came out I reconsidered. The rifle has the usual amazing accuracy. The factory trigger on mine was a bit creepy and had a 7# pull. So far I have it down to 4# by trimming the factory spring. I am looking for a replacement spring and will polish the trigger before the next range session. If that doesn't work, the Rifle Basix or Timney will go in it. I am fanatical about triggers.

I bought the rifle with my employee discount at Academy. Before taxes and registration, I paid $224 for the rifle. It is definitely a poor man's shooter. As a Savage nut and being left-handed, the Axis fits my need for a long action barrel swapping rifle. I would not hesitate to buy another.

I just bought the Ruger American in 308win it looks like the Axis but it has a better bedding system a three lug bolt and its a tack driver. I'm impressed with the way this low cost rifle shoots.

muznut said:
I just bought the Ruger American in 308win it looks like the Axis but it has a better bedding system a three lug bolt and its a tack driver. I'm impressed with the way this low cost rifle shoots.
 +++ on the American. I bought a .243 last year & I love it!

I don't have a Ruger American but I fired one in .270 that a friend bought. It was a nice gun for the money but I didn't like the trigger .. too heavy and it creeps. They are trying to "lawyer-proof" the guns now plus make them cheaper with a better profit margin so I don't know if the stock trigger can be 'smithed' to shoot better.

Pato I suppose they have to protect themselves , there's a lot of idiots out there when it comes to guns !

I know 3 guys that have the Rugers an they all sent them back 2 time each .Two of the men said never again they would buy axis like mine . They were 243 ,270, an 223 .mine is 270 win calibre an love it .Them savages shoot

Cedar Savage

What was wrong with the Rugers that required going back to the factory?

Latest posts

Back