Savage ML1

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gshunter

Reaction score
Has anyone here sent their original ML1 back to Savage to have the breech plug replaced? How long did was the turnaround? I have a stuck vent liner, have tried soaking it in Kroil and Break free , ended up rounding the hex out of the liner, also tried an easy out.

I have a sharpsooter trigger on it , do i need to take it off before sending it? I have heard that savage will return the trigger to stock.

I would just buy another breech plug,a local machinest should get that out for you.I would think that it would cost almost as much as a new breech plug to fix it.If you buy a extra,you will have a spare in case any thing happens again.I replace the plug every 2 years any way if I have been doing a lot of shooting.

According to Savage the ML1 breech plug must be headspaced by the factory.

I would rather they do it.

ML 1

I sent my ML1 back to have a new breech plug fitted. Savage will not sell you one. Must be fitted at the factory. From the day I sent it, it returned to my door just under 3 weeks. They quoted me $70 charge unless they found a Savage problem. When the gun returned there was no charge. A note inside said they fit a new breech plug and replaced the bolt face for no charge. You can not beat there service!

gshunter said:
According to Savage the ML1 breech plug must be headspaced by the factory.

I would rather they do it.
Learn something new every day!

Yep, the ML-I is very similar to a cartridge rifle, you have to headspace for the module to properly seal. It cost me $100.00 and 2 week turn-around. I have a Rifle Basix trigger on mine and it returned with it on the gun.

Blue-Dot-37.5

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
Yep, the ML-I is very similar to a cartridge rifle, you have to headspace for the module to properly seal. It cost me $100.00 and 2 week turn-around. I have a Rifle Basix trigger on mine and it returned with it on the gun.

Blue-Dot-37.5
Thanks for the heads up on that one, I was entertaing the thought of adding a 4th Sav. to the line up.One I was considering was a ML-1. I will pass on that one!

gsHunter,What type of vent-liner are you using?I use RWs first generation vent-liners,they hold up well.Tuffer than the stock vent-liners for sure.

gshunter,
What did the easy-out do? Did it slip or break?

I had a stuck ventliner in my ML-II and I got it out with a GRABIT tool from Alden Corporation ( www.screwremover.com ), part # 8002P. I found it in the screwdriver bit section at the local Lowe's (at about $10). The GRABIT is similar to an easy-out except that it has more screw gripping flutes with a lot more helical on them. The tool also has a hole conditioning bit on the opposite end. You use the GRABIT in a variable speed reversible drill (the 3/8" drill I used had barely enough power). GRABIT is supposed to be reusable; mine still looks like new after one use.

I am still using the stock savage ventliner. when i get the gun back from savage i will try some of RW's vent liners, Thanks.

I tried to get it out with a socket out, (sp?) it is a tapered hex bit that starts out smaller than the hex screw size and then gets bigger. you tap it down like a easy out then use a wrench or socket to turn it.

I ll see if i can find the Grabit at Lowes, be nice to have one on hand just in case, Thanks. FWF

Thanks Blue-Dot i was worried about sending the aftermarket trigger in with it. I have it in a sharpshooter stock, but will ship it back in the stock tupperware stock.

Latest posts

Back