Scope for my new Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHunter

Reaction score
What do you guys typically lean toward with your 10ML's? I've got a Conquest 3-9x40 on my Encore, and I'm hard pressed to not duplicate that wonderful piece of glass, but maybe there is something I'm not thinking of?

Is the 3.5-10x44 a better choice? Maybe not a Zeiss at all. Open to suggestions...

I don't have a savage yet but I'm looking at BURRIS SIGNITURE 4-16.
My ML is my primary rifle. I'm planning a Ruger Model 1 +smi 28" Barrel.
Wouldnt make sense to put a cheap scope on it.
ziton

HokieHunter said:
I've got a Conquest 3-9x40 on my Encore, and I'm hard pressed to not duplicate that wonderful piece of glass...
That's the scope I have on my 10ML-II. And yes, you would be hard pressed to find a better scope for your Savage. :yeah:

I have a Leupold Vari-X III in a 4.5x14-40mm on my Savage Henery Ball Ltd. and a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10-44mm on Savage #2 laminate/ss. Hard to beat either Leupy or Zeiss. :wink:

ZITON said:
ziton

Glad to see your call on the #1...The Burris is a fine scope as I have it on my current SMI. I have a Conquest 3.5x10x50 on my HB.. Not sure what I'll end up with on my Savage conversion to an SMI barrel. It might end up with the Zeiss

All scopes mentioned so far are darn nice, also the bushnell 4200 elite is pretty good too. I am gonna try a Leupy I have on hand on my new project but if I was gonna buy new I would have to seriously consider the Conquest as well.

ZITON said:
ziton

I think the Burris Signature line is very good but the 4x16 you mentioned is a pretty heavy and large scope, you might want to consider that before you purchase. :wink:

My primary hunting rifle, a savage MLII wears a Nikon monarch gold 1.5 X 6 with Leupold QD rings.

I've given a lot of thought to the 4200 Elite, but I don't like the 1 year warranty. The price is right on that scope, and Randy is BIG on that thing. I can get a Conquest for about the same money...tough decision between the Conquest 3-9x40 and the 4200 Elite.

dwhunter said:
ZITON said:
ziton

I think the Burris Signature line is very good but the 4x16 you mentioned is a pretty heavy and large scope, you might want to consider that before you purchase. :wink:

Good point and thank you for your obsevation. On further examination I've found the Burris Euro Diamond 3-12x50mm, Ballistic Plex to be a much better choice in everyway and not much more dollar wise. :p
I'm sort of window shopping now. It will be spring before I commit.
ziton

I have no experience with the Conquest but understand it is an absolutely excellent scope. I do have 2 4200s and 2 3200s. The tracking is just fair on both. A little better on the 4200 I think. They really do hold zero well and optics are great, especially the 4200 which at least equals and I think exceeds the VX-3. The 4200 is extremely bright with a fairly good eye relief. Rain Guard does work. Natchez usually has them after season for appx $315 for the 40MM 2.5X10. A lot of scope for the money - there may be better values out there but this one isn't bad.

I have the Conquest 3X9X40 on my new Laminate Stainless ML II. Hard to beat it. :D

I know some guys talk about the Burris with the Ballistic Plex being a nice fit for the Savage and that crosshairs at 100 yards and next line down at 200 is just right.

Has me thinking. :wink:

my ml1 is a hunting gun have a 2x7 leupold. great scope just right hunting not to bad range $160 cost imo clint

The Bushnell 4200 Elite has performed well for me. Very clear and good in low light.

black3

Looks like some really good scopes mentioned. Just stay in a good scope capable of magnum recoils. The Savage ML can destroy a lesser scope. :twisted:

HokieHunter said:
That makes a difference. Thanks. What don't you like about the scope?

I owned a 3200 and 4200. I sold both and replaced with Leupolds. The 3200 was sent back twice to Bushnell. My Leupolds are just better quality in my opinion.

I have a few scopes that I REALLY like... I guess my favorite is my Leupold VX-III 3.5-10X40 with the German #4 reticle. Man...I LOVE that scope! Next would be a three way tie between a VX-III 3.5-10X50, Conquest 3-9X40, and the Conquest 3.5-10X44. I hunted with a VX-III 2.5-8X36 all season on the ULA..that's a fine scope too. It's now on its way to Leupold to have a #4 reticle installed! That's one thing I REALLY like about a Leupold scope...you can get whatever reticle you want!

Latest posts

Back