shareing my load for my 45 long colt revolvers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
8.2 grains of trailboss   a 1/8 inch thick wad cut from cork rubber gasket material i bought from the auto parts store. if they only have 1/16th thick, then two wads. a .457 round ball rolled in lee alox and let dry. tap into the case and then roll crimp over the end of the ball in your crimping die. this load is snappy, clean and very very accurate. very little recoil at all. i have tried all sizes in weight of bullets and this load is the most accurate and fun to shoot. i have not run them through the cronograph yet but they dont poke along. i would not be afraid to use in a carry 45 long colt. when you use the 457 round balls they resize when you size and crimp the case at the same time. the light weight of the round ball and its really short bearing surface allows the use of 8.2 grains of trailboss which you would not use if you were shooting a 250 grain bullet.

If it's OK with Strong Eagle, I have a hunting load for .45 Long Colt.

If you have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, here's my hunting load that is very accurate. 

Hornady .452 250 gr. HP-XTP bullet with 20.0 gr. of 2400 with a CCI 350 magnum pistol primer. 

Do Not use this load in a Colt pistol!

img_0410.jpg

thanks for your info, lots of rugers out their and bet you gave some good info to those guys. all mine are uberti colts and open tops except for one. i cannot tell you why but i like the open tops and the conversions. for my small hands they fit perfectly. ive learned to tune them to the max and they are accurate. keep the pictures coming. ive heard people say the hogs are heading in our direction, probably too much open country for them here. i bet that meat grilled is the best.

" ive heard people say the hogs are heading in our direction, probably too much open country for them here. i bet that meat grilled is the best."

You had better pray that they don't get there. They compete with deer for natural foods and destroy riverine habitat.

I've killed a couple dozen hogs here but only one was fat enough to eat good. I have the others made into sausage unless they are stinky boars. I leave those where they go down.

i know they are in south eastern nebraska, they could work their way over here through the bottom land. i bet a old boar does stink.

I just had to resurrect this thread as I love the .45 Colt cartridge.  I've owned several SAA revolvers but let them all go.  I kept my two OM BlackHawks and use only one load for everything, even squirrels.  The load is 18 grains of 2400 topped by a 260 grain swc from a Lyman mold - a 245 grain rnswc from a Saeco mold can substitute.  This load gives 1065 fps from the 4.5" barrel and 1260 fps from the 7.5" barrel.  Stupendously accurate, this has been my load for around 42 years.  Interestingly, it simply punches a small hole through a squirrel with body shots and removes the head on, well....

5_zps57b3730f.jpg
a4991a16_7e41_49b5_b1f6_f2bd6ac1c0f4_zps4fc0e9e0.jpg

PICT0648.jpg

Top, a spy.  My two cherished Rugers.

patocazador said:
If you have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, here's my hunting load that is very accurate. 

Hornady .452 250 gr. HP-XTP bullet with 20.0 gr. of 2400 with a CCI 350 magnum pistol primer. 

Do Not use this load in a Colt pistol!
Good point, Colts are not as strong as Rugers. We would see Colt revolvers come into the Gun Library for trade or sale, first thing was look them over for timing, cylinder alignment and signs of having been shot using heavy loads.

Love my 45 colt 1873 uberti rifle been meaning to pick up a revolver in this round also. Hmmm have Cabelas gift cards might need to make a visit 🤠

Beautiful Black Hawk, Mossie. I hated to sell my Win M94 .45 Colt Trapper, but I had no choice in the matter. BHs are wonderful revolvers and a joy to hunt with. I've used both the .41 BlackHawk and .44 Super BlackHawk for deer and prefer the .41. I've taken more than a few with a couple of S&W .357s but nothing beats that .41.

I've been using a little over 5 gn. Trail Boss for last 4 years in SASS events, .452, 255 gn. LFN, in three 60 Army's (drop in's,R&D) and Miroku 73. Wouldn't hunt with this load, but it drops/hits the steel with the desired results......Have to trim .45 Colt some to fit the conversion cyl, if I don't use Scofield.
Photo on 11-12-19 at 2.28 PM.jpg

i know they are in south eastern nebraska, they could work their way over here through the bottom land. i bet a old boar does stink.
"Working" their way over your way may not be how they get there. Your neighbors may bring them in because they think it's cool to hunt hogs. In fact in some states (Alabama for sure) it is against the law to move a "live" wild hog. If you get on-line you can see maps of where they are showing up, doesn't make sense that there are spots where they suddenly appear, hundreds of miles from where older sightings were made. I know in 60's, some hogs were trapped in the deep south and shipped northward to replenish shot out stock on game farms. We have plenty to say grace over down here, and are a complete nuisance, they can destroy a field, garden, or food plot overnight, then move completely out of your area.

When I still lived in Georgia our house was in the boonies. Hogs were back in the woods and I have a friend who hunted them. For some reason I never got around to it. They are a major nuisance especially in the coastal plain half.

Almost forgot. Bottom rifle is a .45Colt.

PICT0671_1.jpg
that is a nice piece of wood on the bottom! My 73 (Miroku) was made "short throw" and I had bolt replaced and slicked it up for SASS. Love it, but wish it sported wood like yours............. then I'd cry if I banged it up.

Like my Blackhawk as well. Mine is the convertible 45 long colt/45 Acp.

Back