Shoot with ramrod in or out?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hneidere

Reaction score
Hey guys - what are your opinions on shooting with the ramrod in place or not on the rifle? I have seen several videos where the shooter does not have the ramrod in place in the rifle. Does it effect accuracy?
I have a CVA Accura MR and it came with the palm saver on the end.

Mine stays on the bench when target shooting, along with another range rod. One contains a bore brush and the other a loading jag.
My ramrod always stays adjoined to the ML when hunting. It's impossible for me to cite a difference in accuracy either way. At the range I'm bench shooting with bags. While hunting, I'm either free-style shooting or steadying myself against a tree with one arm / shoulder. We hunt public land and always moving to spots where we see signs of deer.

hneidere said:
Hey guys - what are your opinions on shooting with the ramrod in place or not on the rifle? I have seen several videos where the shooter does not have the ramrod in place in the rifle. Does it effect accuracy?
I have a CVA Accura MR and it came with the palm saver on the end.

For myself I always shoot with the ram rod in place on the rifle. Fact is I hardly ever use the gun ram rod excepting when hunting. At the range I prefer it hanging of the bottom of the barrel as it will be while hunting and taking that harvest shot.

It is possible the rifle could shoot a little differently with and with out the rod especially at longer ranges. So to be sure mine stays in place.

Yours with the 'palm saver' is designed to shoot with it in place.

You can see in these pics while shooting paper targets.

At the range I use a range rod with an Original Spin Jag installed that is all I need to shoot the entire visit.

Because I use range rods strictly, the factory ramrod is normally in the rifle. I don't know if it would make a difference, but that's just the way I shoot.

If ramrod freely slides in and out of thimble and stock.no binding or flexing should not effect accuracy.

Same as most, I keep it in the gun and use a range rod. It will usually pop out a bit after a shot, but this no longer bothers me. It's just part of the reloading process to push it back in. :yeah:

bestill said:
If ramrod freely slides in and out of thimble and stock.no binding or flexing should not effect accuracy.

True! but its presence or the lack of, might have some effect on the harmonic vibrations setup in the barrel while shooting. Harmonics can have a big effect on accuracy.

That is exactly rite. But i don't find accuracy change. As you said it might. At 500 plus yards id say definitely would effect accuracy.

sabotloader said:
bestill said:

True! but its presence or the lack of, might have some effect on the harmonic vibrations setup in the barrel while shooting. Harmonics can have a big effect on accuracy.

My rifle builder to me to remove the ramrod when shooting targets for the smallest groups, for the exact thing you mentioned above. I've never shot target with the ramrod in any rifle. Its what I use to load and use another range rod to swab.

At the range and while still hunting, I take it out. While stalking, it stays in.

My son has the CVA palm saver on his Accura. I told him not to leave the palm saver on while hunting or at the range. I read where someone shot it off because it was thought it got turned sideways somehow.

I leave mine on the Bench next to me. I have shot both ways and never noticed any change in my rifles. I do load with a Range Rod though when at the range.

ShawnT said:
I leave mine on the Bench next to me. I have shot both ways and never noticed any change in my rifles. I do load with a Range Rod though when at the range.
same here, if the ramrod moves forward it usually will get some soot/residue on the jag which is another thing to clean so I leave it off at the range, no difference either way in accuracy.

toytruck said:
ShawnT said:
same here, if the ramrod moves forward it usually will get some soot/residue on the jag which is another thing to clean so I leave it off at the range, no difference either way in accuracy.

I had this happen to a new Spin Jag...moved forward and didn't notice and loaded with a range rod and marked the end of the new SJ. I emailed SJ and asked what would remove this and they recommended soaking it overnight in vinegar to remove it. Worked well. They actually replied with pics that showed a SJ that had been used for over a year with before and after pics.

vinegar hum...have to remember that, thanks!! I have several jags that are discolored, always dipped them in the cleaning solution I used in the bore to remove most of the crud, but never got it all off completely.

vinegar is a mild acid and a great cleaner for many household things vinegar and water with a bit of alcohol is a great cleaner for tile floors, and wont discolor grout, like many cleaners formulated for it will.

My Black Diamond shoots to a slightly different point of impact with the rammer out.When getting some range time, I used a range rod myself. However, we are creatures of habit and the more you repeat an action the more unconscious it becomes. If you habitually lay your rammer down when shooting at the range, instead of returning it to its proper place, under a stressful moment in the woods ( say after shooting a deer and reloading) you might just lay that rammer down instead of putting it back where it belongs. I've found a couple rammers when hunting...

Confederate rifleman said:
I've found a couple rammers when hunting...
I think those rammers may have gotten caught on a branch as they were walking through the woods with their rifle over their shoulders and got yanked out without them knowing it. If you hunt near Easton PA and one of the ramrods you found was a Delron ramrod for a Lyman Deerstalker it's mine. :oops: :(

Never lost a ramrod in the woods. But I do have a hunting clothes dresser-drawer that has three single hunting glove's in it. I have also lost a couple scope covers, out there in the woods and left a couple deer calls on the ground at trial-hunting spots.

Latest posts

Back