Shot a rod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a clue but about the only thing I can think of is a broken firing pin. But those Knight bolt assemblies are pretty stout. Did you have an indent in your primer?

Can a barrel be bulged and not visible from the outside ( exterior ) of
the barrel?? Asking for a friend!

When pushing a tight-fitting patch through the bore do you notice any loose spots?

How does the bullet load compared to before shooting the ramrod?

Did it the other day with my ultra lite took gun home to inspect barrel every thing looked fine when back out bu it wouldn’t fire. Any ideas. And yes it hurt
I bet you got alot of blowback in the firing pin assembly the pressure has to go somewhere you are lucky you didn't get hurt . Never leave the ram rod in the bore while shooting. Wow!

Was the Primer still intact? If not, maybe there is a piece binding up the firing pin. Remove the firing pin from the Bolt and clean everything up.

Is the Secondary Safety backed all the way out?

Last edited:
Strange this would happen. If the trigger won't move it has to be something with the saftey or the sear engagement. That's about the only thing that would cause that. The rifle possibly isn't cocking which is what I would check first with the action out of the stock.

A buddy of mine did that in the 90's.

We were in the desert shooting and BSing, just a calm relaxing afternoon. Well after a round of shooting we got into a deep conversation that lasted 1/2 hour or more and then went back to shooting. My gun went bang and his was KABOOM!!! It knock him off balance. I made sure he was not bleeding as he stood there in shock and he was fine. We spent the next hour reviewing his gun, load, etc... and couldn't figure out what went wrong and it must have been a double charge. he started loading a light load to check function and we couldn't find his rod which explained everything.

Lesson learned - never talk until the loading process has been completed and everything is back in its place

It would be nice to show some pics of the action out of the stock around the trigger area both cocked and uncocked and also a pic of the bolt assembly.
Could it be possible that if you disassembled the bolt you didn't reassemble correctly.

It would be nice to show some pics of the action out of the stock around the trigger area both cocked and uncocked and also a pic of the bolt assembly.
Could it be possible that if you disassembled the bolt you didn't reassemble correctly.
I’m out of town for a few weeks so no pics I’m sure it was assembled correctly

I feel for you, remember your not the only one that has done it. 98% is caused by interruptions. I did some years ago. My Mrs. kept calling me on me cell phone. Yup it happened, never found it. Didn't cause a hiccup with mine. I don't load heavy for under 75 yard shots

Latest posts

Back