Shot out CVA Blackhorn breech plug salvageable with vent liners?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treepotato

Reaction score
I have a stainless CVA Blackthorn breech plug that has been shot to where the flash hole has expanded beyond safe use. Found out when a primer was blown back and a new o-ring was melted; immediately swapped to my backup breech plug and had no problems.

Is it possible (and safe) to have it drilled and tapped to accept vent liners, or was too much material removed when it was originally milled to be the Blackhorn version?

If yes, is there someone here still offering this service? If it's not safe, any recommendations for buying a new breech plug with liners?

Thanks!

Just noticed the price on the Lehigh BP, surprised at how little they're charging compared to the CVA BP.

Anyone tried the Lehigh version?

I know it doesn’t help you now, but I ordered one, and plan on shooting it as soon as I get it back. I am having it nitrided, and am planning on posting here once I am able to shoot it on my range.

I know it seems like overkill, but my hands can rust a Glock slide in the right conditions, so all of my unfinished firearms (and frequently handled firearm parts) get finished.

I know it doesn’t help you now, but I ordered one, and plan on shooting it as soon as I get it back. I am having it nitrided, and am planning on posting here once I am able to shoot it on my range.

I know it seems like overkill, but my hands can rust a Glock slide in the right conditions, so all of my unfinished firearms (and frequently handled firearm parts) get finished.

I’m probably good to go for a few months with a new CVA Blackhorn BP, but now have no spare when this one gets shot out too.

Please share your impressions when you get the nitrided one in hand. That could be the ideal long term set up I’m looking for too.

I’m probably good to go for a few months with a new CVA Blackhorn BP, but now have no spare when this one gets shot out too.

Please share your impressions when you get the nitrided one in hand. That could be the ideal long term set up I’m looking for too.

Will do. I will be sure to include the best pics my phone will allow me to take.

Latest posts

Back