Shotgun chokes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't but I referred a friend which sent his $1400 ass kicking Benelli to them. I would have to get the details from him on everything they did but bottom line he loves it now and plans to keep it. He's not a turkey hunter and uses it duck hunting. Ballistic Specialities told him they had done more Benelli's because of kicking problems than any other. One thing I think they did was back bored the barrel. Correct me if I'm wrong but a shotgun that expensive you shouldn't have to spend another $150 on it to shoot it. :roll:

dwhunter said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but a shotgun that expensive you shouldn't have to spend another $150 on it to shoot it. :roll:

Or more! I'd agree with that statement for ANY gun! :D

Patrick White said:
dwhunter said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but a shotgun that expensive you shouldn't have to spend another $150 on it to shoot it. :roll:

Or more! I'd agree with that statement for ANY gun! :D

Yeah the Encore is a prime example of that. :)

alex30808 said:
I have heard some great things about them...what did you have done?

I talked to my buddy about what Ballistic Specialties did to his Benilli. They angle ported the barrel and lengthened the forcing cone.

Looks like a good one there. I have a Kicks GT .680 on my 12 3.5 Browning Gold & it is a fine after market choke too.

I use a Pure Gold .670 on my SBE 2. at forty yards it puts over 100 bbs in the neck region

Nutt189 said:
I use a Pure Gold .670 on my SBE 2. at forty yards it puts over 100 bbs in the neck region

Wow!!!!!! My Browning will average in the 20-25 range within neck area with 3.5" Win HV 2 oz of 5's.

Do you have that SBE scoped?

No scope, we can not use them here. I tell you what Loggy, it suprised me also, I am using that Federal flight control shells in 3 1/2 in 2oz of shot. I got to reading on them loads and the say that they pattern better with a non-ported choke. I am going to give that a try. If I could figure out how to post a pic on here I would post a shoot-n-see target that I shot and show the results with 1 3/4 oz shot will do at 40yds.

Nutt, I read about those Federal Flight Control Shells. I may have to give them a try.

I looked at the SBE when I was in the market. One great shotgun. I dropped $850 for my Browning Gold Stalker & the SBE's were going for about $1,100 then. Its one thats on my wish list!!

Just did a quick count on pellets that hit the spine in the neck and it was 30 pellets, thats not counting the ones that hit the head and neck area

Nutt189 SBE Pattern Targets below. Great Patterns for sure!!!! Looks like one Dead Turkey there! :lol:

Picture492.jpg

Picture493.jpg

Loggy said:
Nutt189 SBE Pattern Targets below. Great Patterns for sure!!!! Looks like one Dead Turkey there! :lol:

Picture492.jpg

Picture493.jpg

Wow what a great pattern. :yeah:

At 40 yards it looks like my pattern at 25 yards.

One heck of a turkey gun!

flight control loads

Nutt189 said:
No scope, we can not use them here. I tell you what Loggy, it suprised me also, I am using that Federal flight control shells in 3 1/2 in 2oz of shot. I got to reading on them loads and the say that they pattern better with a non-ported choke. I am going to give that a try. If I could figure out how to post a pic on here I would post a shoot-n-see target that I shot and show the results with 1 3/4 oz shot will do at 40yds.

I just got off the phone with an expert at federal. I was inquiring on the inconsistent patterns many of my friends have been getting. He told me that this has been occuring frequently with too tight of chokes. Apparently the flight control wad gets retarded with constrictions around .665 and less. He recommended NO LESS THAN .665 and had the most success with .670 in all of his testing. BTW he was the one that came up with the entire concept!! Cant remember his name. dangit. ALSO, USE NON-PORTED NON-WAD STRIPPING CHOKES (NO PATTERNMASTERS ETC.)
He even sent me two free coupons for some heavyweight.

hope this helps

gshunter said:
I use a Rhino .

Same here... I picked up an assortment of Rhino chokes when the Grand American was held in Dayton Ohio.. only about an hour away..

Gonna miss that! :(

I have had very good results on 2 different guns (Win 1300 and a Rem 870) with a Hastings .675" diameter extended tube. Excellent 40 yard patterns with #4 lead shot on both guns!

I'm starting to think that the inside diameter may be more important than the brand of choke tube.

When testing turkey loads, I changed to shooting at 10" diameter targets and looked for the load that gave me the most hits inside and with an even distribution.

Sadly, I do not know the manufacturer of my favorite choke. A friend gave it to me and it has been the one to beat for the last 3-4 years. Does anyone know the manufacturer that stencils (or maybe used to stencil) a turkey track on the tube?

BR's from the cob pile.

I use the Primos Jelly Head tube in my Benelli Nova...I've only killed one turkey with it but that shot was drop dead fatal... It's made to take advantage of Hevi-Shot loads...

Jellyhead.jpg

Back