SML on the Cheap

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I traded a never used shotgun for my CVA black blue 45-70 Scout at my local gun shop. I sold my CVA Optima V2 50 and brought the breech plug and ramrod. I kept the scope off the Optima. I had the breech plug installed. I'm gonna upgrade the scope base and rings to Talley base and Warne rings. I wish in the beginning, I would have skipped the Optima and went straight into the Scout converison. Lot more options with the Scout.

I had a howa short action, wasn't doing anything with it so trying to save some money and build myself i ordered a shilen select match 450-457 barrel,they would thread for a barrel nut but would not install breach plug ,,a gunsmith friend installed for me ,,, the rifle shoots as well if not better than any of the smokeless guns I've had so far and the barrel is absolutely uniform it's perfect, not considering the price for the action ,the barrel ,breech plug ,and fitting it to a stock was well under $1,000,, Brownells had some nice short action Walnut stocks I was able to get the barrel down into it it looks great, Barrel Plug stock and work less than a thousand if you really study gun builds you'd be surprised the corners that you can cut and the rifles that you can put together yourself of course the barrel nut headspacing took about 10 minutes a piece of cake so far my barrel nut rifles have shot just as good and in some cases better than my shoulder builds I never expected that I always would have shied away from the barrel nut but it makes an inexpensive build much more practical. I like the CVA conversions but you can do more for your money if you study

I had a howa short action, wasn't doing anything with it so trying to save some money and build myself i ordered a shilen select match 450-457 barrel,they would thread for a barrel nut but would not install breach plug ,,a gunsmith friend installed for me ,,, the rifle shoots as well if not better than any of the smokeless guns I've had so far and the barrel is absolutely uniform it's perfect, not considering the price for the action ,the barrel ,breech plug ,and fitting it to a stock was well under $1,000,, Brownells had some nice short action Walnut stocks I was able to get the barrel down into it it looks great, Barrel Plug stock and work less than a thousand if you really study gun builds you'd be surprised the corners that you can cut and the rifles that you can put together yourself of course the barrel nut headspacing took about 10 minutes a piece of cake so far my barrel nut rifles have shot just as good and in some cases better than my shoulder builds I never expected that I always would have shied away from the barrel nut but it makes an inexpensive build much more practical. I like the CVA conversions but you can do more for your money if you study
Like to see some pics when you get it done - also what do you expect it to weigh? I have kicked around that howa mini action - haven't pulled the trigger on 1 yet. thanks everyone for sharing here!

You're welcome,, I'm fixing to shoot the rifle here in a few minutes I will weigh it with a scope and the Walnut stock,, now it is the model 1500 short action ,,I also have a mini a couple of Minis the mini makes a great little rifle. The 1500 doesn't have a muzzle brake on it so having the two-stage trigger is nice for me after I tighten up that first stage I know what's fixing to happen I guess that seems simplistic but it helps

The 1500 Howa weighs 10 lb that is with a 4 to 14 power Leupold Vortec rings I would think if you could find a carbon stock and put this gun down in it and put a lighter scope on it and easily knock a pound and half off,, you can do the mini with a scope and even a wooden stock for right around 8 lb graphite would not get lighter

The 1500 Howa weighs 10 lb that is with a 4 to 14 power Leupold Vortec rings I would think if you could find a carbon stock and put this gun down in it and put a lighter scope on it and easily knock a pound and half off,, you can do the mini with a scope and even a wooden stock for right around 8 lb graphite would not get lighter
The mini carbon stalker is under 5lbs.... even the regular mini is pretty light and nimble as long as you don't strap a Hubble-like scope to it...

Ive been shooting my CVA 45/70 conversion today and i love almost everything about it, except removing the extractor to remove the breech plug. Or if shooting with out the extractor in, having to dig out the modules. A 209 plug in this would be a much better plug, imho.
Being able to adjust headspace on the Woodman and just use 209s sounds like a better hunting setup. But I am loving the 45/70 with 200XTPs and imr4198.
I took my extractor out and took a drumel and took a little off the top tip and a little off the bottom ahead of the spring area and the plug goes in and out with no problem.

I took my extractor out and took a drumel and took a little off the top tip and a little off the bottom ahead of the spring area and the plug goes in and out with no problem.
So it will go a little lower and the socket can get past it? Any problems with it slipping off the module and not ejecting it?

We’re talking about a smokeless-capable .45 aftermarket McGowen barrel to go on an Omega. These are smokeless barrels made to fit an Omega. Mark’s come with an adjustable breech plug, picatinny rail and ramrod. And nitride finish. All ready to go - just attach the Omega swinging breech action and drop in a stock.
Ah so they are just using the receiver, the bbl n BP are built for smokeless to start with.

Defiance, anti 700 footprint,barrel nut barrel,cheapest stock,if you are capable of some stock work if needed you can put rifle together for under 2000,,,I realize this price is not in the cheaper category,,I would consider the build a two year project if it helps your budget ,, if you add a fancy carbon type stock the price could quickly get up to 2500 then again I'm talking about doing most of the gun work or putting everything together yourself. I think many of us that are considering a budget smokeless gun have a Remington 700 action sitting around somewhere long action or short action either one of them just need a barrel nut Barrel for right around $1,200 with modules you're ready to go it's a much smarter option than one of the conversions I think,, wouldn't you rather have that metal around your hand and the twin lugs in front of you. One thing I guess that concerns me with a lot of lighter weight conversions they're not weapon systems to be chasing High velocities with,, I would almost rather see a beginner smokeless shooter end up with a Remington 700 type stronger action, and that's just me, concerns me that many new smokeless shooters get the conversions because it's all they can afford and don't study the rifle systems enough and learn all they can before beginning ,,, if you can afford a conversion for a couple of hundred more dollars you can afford a lot better weapon platform,,, just a personal opinion but I see the lightweight smokeless guns as being rifles for advanced Shooters not beginners.

Defiance, anti 700 footprint,barrel nut barrel,cheapest stock,if you are capable of some stock work if needed you can put rifle together for under 2000,,,I realize this price is not in the cheaper category,,I would consider the build a two year project if it helps your budget ,, if you add a fancy carbon type stock the price could quickly get up to 2500 then again I'm talking about doing most of the gun work or putting everything together yourself. I think many of us that are considering a budget smokeless gun have a Remington 700 action sitting around somewhere long action or short action either one of them just need a barrel nut Barrel for right around $1,200 with modules you're ready to go it's a much smarter option than one of the conversions I think,, wouldn't you rather have that metal around your hand and the twin lugs in front of you. One thing I guess that concerns me with a lot of lighter weight conversions they're not weapon systems to be chasing High velocities with,, I would almost rather see a beginner smokeless shooter end up with a Remington 700 type stronger action, and that's just me, concerns me that many new smokeless shooters get the conversions because it's all they can afford and don't study the rifle systems enough and learn all they can before beginning ,,, if you can afford a conversion for a couple of hundred more dollars you can afford a lot better weapon platform,,, just a personal opinion but I see the lightweight smokeless guns as being rifles for advanced Shooters not beginners.
I agree. If you plan it right, I think you will come out better. I planned mine for my hunting needs and wants. I could have built a bolt gun but I didn't see the need to. The 45-70 conversion was just perfect in my situation. My situation - stand hunting over food plots, stands in woods with shooting lanes. Most shots less than 150 yds with 95% less than 100 yds. I wanted it to be accurate and most importantly, low recoil. I did my research, asked questions and called builders. I did my conversion the way I wanted.

Having both, a 700 and a 45/70 conversions, i can see where that 700 is much more forgiving of mistakes. Im pretty new to smokeless and when i want to try a new load, powder, bullet, whatever, i shoot it in the 700 first. The 700 is a great way to burn some powder at the bench. When i have settled on a load that im going to hunt with in that 45/70 and get it tweaked right, I’ll get back to playing around with that bolt gun.

Back