Somebody explain wads behind lead conicals

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porkchop401

Reaction score
I have tried the lead conical in the past with not much success. I recently acquired a Rem 700MLS (older model ) and am having a sealed primer system installed on it. In the past I was firing bare bullets (460gr NE) with limited success getting issues like blow by and poor accuracy. I am going to try to get the 420 grain version to shoot in this Remington I am unsure about wads and the type I need . Also this time i have ordered a bullet sizing pack before ordering bullets. your thoughts.

If you are shooting a 50cal ML, I would get 54 cal Felt Wads. I use 50 cal Felt Wads with my 45 ML's. They help protect the base of your bullet, seal more gasses behind your bullet as well as help prevent leading in your bbl. For more detailed info, go to YOUTUBE and search for IdahoLews. He has videos on this or you can do a search on this website for Wads by Idaholewis.

I have tried the lead conical in the past with not much success. I recently acquired a Rem 700MLS (older model ) and am having a sealed primer system installed on it. In the past I was firing bare bullets (460gr NE) with limited success getting issues like blow by and poor accuracy. I am going to try to get the 420 grain version to shoot in this Remington I am unsure about wads and the type I need . Also this time i have ordered a bullet sizing pack before ordering bullets. your thoughts.

They protect the Base of the Bullet (which is Actually what Steers the Bullet) And Help to Create a Gas Seal behind the Bullet at Obturation, Along with a Good Bullet Lube They DRASTICALLY reduce Barrel leading. I have used all Types of Wads, You name it? I’ve tried it! The ABSOLUTE Best performing Wads i have ever used in EVERY Muzzleloader i own is 1/8” Thick Wool Felt. I use both Correct Bore Diameter, and Over Bore Diameter, When using Over Bore it is much easier to Start a .54 Cal Felt Wad down a .50 Bore, Than say a .50 Down a .45 Bore. To be honest, I really can’t tell a Difference in Accuracy between Correct Bore Diameter, and Oversize. The Oversize has Always made the Best Sense to me, So i use them quite often

If using real black or Pyrodex i would try wool first. They burn cooler and ignite easier.

If using Triple7 and BH209 for sure i would try .060 thick veggie wads also. They will seal BH209 better if using a semi loose fit conical. They provide slightly more protection from the hotter burn. I have even used a combination of veggie first then a wool which seemed to work great for BH209 and conicals.

If using real black or Pyrodex i would try wool first. They burn cooler and ignite easier.

If using Triple7 and BH209 for sure i would try .060 thick veggie wads also. They will seal BH209 better if using a semi loose fit conical. They provide slightly more protection from the hotter burn. I have even used a combination of veggie first then a wool which seemed to work great for BH209 and conicals.

I have advised the .060 Vege and Wool Combo MANY times, it definately Works with the HOTTER Powders, You get best of both World’s :lewis:

Its how i load my Super DISC with the Gould and BH209. I only do that when hunting just for a little insurance. Probably not as big of a deal tossing a 460gr but its not gunna hurt a thing. I will most likely try the same thing with a poly wad and wool.

purpose of wad is to keep bullet from gas cutting which in turn causes leading, what you will need is what the gun likes. Lewis likes .50 cal wool for his .45, Veggies , are good , and Poly are good.

Think if you might test one of your bullets for hardness (BHN) , if its not soft you get blowby/gas cutting hence poor accuracy/also slug bore as dimension of bullet could be off /Ed

The harder the lead, the more important use of a wad.
I experimented with my Knight 52cal using my 500gr HP (pure lead) over 85gr Swiss 2f - with and without wads. Occasionally w/o a wad I would get a flyer - never had such with a wad. I was even lucky enough to win a match with it.
Even my original percussion double rifle from 1866, list using a wad.

I have noticed those older ML700s like that NE 495 grain bullet best

Out of my 700ML I shoot 385 grain Hornady Great Plains with hollow base with no wad and 90 grains of Goex powder..
But yes wads help with gas blow by as stated above.

Latest posts

Back