Stupid is as Stupid does :)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlV

Reaction score
I'll share my screw-ups as a way to contribute to this forum. Perhaps some of you will get a chuckle out of it and maybe someone might remember what I did and not do it themselves.

So....I arrive home from the range yesterday, and pull the breech plug on my Remington Genisis and sit it in a small plastic glass I have for this purpose and cover it with Hoppes #9. Ain't got time to clean it up good right now, but I use Blackhorn 209 so it isn't an issue.

I decide to pull the firing pin to clean it up and it comes out easily with one screw, and toss the screw/spring/firing pin block into the cup full of Hoppes with the breech plug.

A couple of Hoppes patches through the bore and I leave it until tomorrow.

This morning, I went down to finish cleaning it and took the cup full of Hoppes over to the basement sink. Not remembering anything was in there but the breech plug I pour the cup into the sink, knowing the breech plug wouldn't go past the sink drain plug.

WHAT IS THAT SCREW AND BLOCK DOING THERE!!!???

Then I remembered. Everything was there except the little firing pin itself :(

I clean all the stuff out from under the sink and pull the sink drain apart. Now, my father in law used to tell me to never start a home project unless the hardware store is open, but I went ahead anyways.

Firing pin isn't in the sink drain trap :( I get to wondering where I put the owner's manual so I could order another firing pin. I reinstalled the drain trap, then I got to thinking........

I wiggled the sink drain plug and heard a little "tink" in the drain trap. Take the drain trap apart again and there is my firing pin!!!! :):):)

I then reinstalled the drain trap again.

I take all the parts over to my "gun room" and finish cleaning up the rifle and put it into the safe.

Now I'm off to shoot an archery tournament. I'll just leave all the stuff I took out from under the sink for my wifey to sort and put back when she gets home from working at Wal-Mart. I just KNOW that she wants to clean it out anyways :)

Well I must admit I never poured my parts down the drain but have sure chased them around on the floor when I knock them off the work bench and then have to find them.

I am glad you found everything... How did the Genesis shoot with your Black Horn 209?

Well, that's a unique cleaning method you have there CarlV, though it does seem to involve more steps than I want to take. :D :D

Glad you were able to recover everything.

I'm glad you found it. Yesterday I took apart my accutrigger and was having a heck of a time getting the main spring back on it. Eventually I realized I was doing it wrong and it was really easy. Needless to say on my unsuccessful tries I put on safety glasses because it kept flying out of the pliers. At one point in time it launched itself off of two walls and ended up behind the couch. Only reason I found it was because I could hear it bouncing off the walls! :shock:

The stupidest thing i did has nothing to do with guns . I came home from work one day and heard my wife working in the back room . I knew she did not hear me come in so i though i would scare her . I inched my way down the hall way very very slow and when i go to the door way jumped into the room (almost )trying to scare her . The reason i said almost is my head never made it past the top door jam . When your 6'5 its not a good idea to jump through any door way !! I hit the top of my head so hard it almost knocked me out . I am also glad i did not have my tongue between my teeth or i would have cut it off . My wife then turns around and said ( as put out sounding as possible ) WHAT ARE YOU DOING !! When she said that , i was laying flat on my back holding my head !! DANG THAT HURT !!! :roll: :roll: WHAT WAS I THINKING ??? OR WAS I ???

Trust me....I have done about all the stupid things one may do in muzzleloading! :oops:

Latest posts

Back