Taking care of your Muzzleloader with BH209.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
greatbasin said:
Busta said:
greatbasin said:
I shot the stuff from March-October with only light swabbings of Hoppes, without any concerns. I also did not experience any flash hole build-up. I like the stuff a lot, it's a great time saver.

I don't think any of us have had flash hole build-up, how about the flame channel in front of the flash hole. The Knights and T/C's I think are all 1/8" (.125") diameter. A lot of people didn't think they were getting any build-up, until they got out the drill. :shock: :shock:

Maybe I have my terminology wrong or maybe I don't know the difference between a flash hole and a flame channel ??? But I had a little build-up on the end of my breech plugs (outside rim) but nothing a scotchbrite pad could'nt fix. Can't say I've ever wanted to use a drill on any part of the plug hole or channel.

I'm just about to get started again for spring bear and I'll let you guys know if it's any different.

the end that the primer sits in and the hammer strikes is the end that gets fouled with carbon build up.

I never noticed it and never had a hangfire, but kept hearing about it here and decided to really take a look...yeah I couldnt get a 1/8" drill bit in there for nothing. went and bought a new plug and sure enough its open and a the bit fits fine. will keep it clean going forward

the end that the primer sits in and the hammer strikes is the end that gets fouled with carbon build up.
Gotcha, now I understand. I'm still oldschool and using discs.

Another who didn't notice any buildup until I got the drill bit out. Had to start 2 sizes smaller and work up to the 1/8". I couldn't believe all the carbon that came out of there after about 30-35 shots.

Back