Taking care of your Muzzleloader with BH209.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
I do want to point out something to BH209 users. I noticed this awhile ago and forgot to mention it. Western Powders clearly states on the new BH209 jugs.

BH209 is not a bore protectant. Any residue left in a barrel after firing can trap moisture depending on humidity conditions and we strongly recommend cleaning as soon as possible.

I have shot easily 15 jugs now with no sign of any corrosion. I still clean my barrels with Hoppes with in a day of shooting outside of hunting season.

This summer, when I shot at the range I would take a patch of Hoppes, then one with CLP before putting away. I remember letting it go overnight once. The next morning there was what looked to be surface rust and the patch showed a redish/brown tint. Never hurt the barrel but when it's humid out I just clean the barrel after shooting. The breach plug stays where it's at.

Excellent point Grouse. And this goes for all powders, no matter what. If you shoot your rifle, clean your rifle ASAP.

It just makes good sense to me to protect an investment like a rifle. I never got into this sport because I was shy of doing what I had to do. When I started muzzleloading we shot Goex. It was all there was. There were days we were luck to get ten shots off before we had to clean the rifle. Pyrodex came along and we still had to clean them. Its just part of the beast.

BlackHorn is a great powder. And Western is a great company. And Grouse shoots too much... :D :D

How many shots do you "guess" you get out of a jug of BH? I get asked this all the time by people in PMs and I really do not have an answer for them. I know it depends on the powder charge.

when I started muzzleloading two years ago, I thought I was smarter than everyone else.

why ever use water for cleaning my ML after shooting (all I ever shot was Pyrodex)

I just cleaned my gun like a centerfire rifle with my own blend of toluene/diesel/2 stroke oil.

worked perfectly!

only when you look down the barrel a day or two later, it looks more like a .25 cal then a .50 :roll:

and, swabbing with petroleum solvents really inhibits pyrodex ie hangfires from hell

so I learned my lesson

I was fortunate my barrel cleaned up nicely.

cayuga said:
BlackHorn is a great powder. And Western is a great company. And Grouse shoots too much... :D :D

How many shots do you "guess" you get out of a jug of BH?

I really dont know. I do know jug no#16 was gone today. 75shots thru my new 45cal Disc Elite was the culperate :) . Report will be up later.

I only shot off two pounds of Black Horn 209. It was all I could get my hands on at the time. I never noticed that carbon build up in breech plugs like a lot of people report. For instance, I never drilled out anything. I soaked the breech plugs, picked them and hit them with compressed air.

If this carbon effect in the breech plug a real problem Grouse? Does it happen with all rifles? If anyone should know, you must have experienced it. How do you deal with it?

cayuga said:
I only shot off two pounds of Black Horn 209. It was all I could get my hands on at the time. I never noticed that carbon build up in breech plugs like a lot of people report. For instance, I never drilled out anything. I soaked the breech plugs, picked them and hit them with compressed air.

If this carbon effect in the breech plug a real problem Grouse? Does it happen with all rifles? If anyone should know, you must have experienced it. How do you deal with it?

What did you soak it in?

Hoppe's #9 and after I scrubbed them I took a nipple pick (old high E guitar string) and poked that through and it seeme to clean them out just fine.. if anything was in there.

I ask because there was a post of a Genesis that someone shooting Black Horn expeienced crud building in the breech plug. I just wondered how everyone else handled that. I am heading south to the land of BlackHorn and am going to get three or four pounds of it to do more testing with.

cayuga said:

I would say the savage would be the only ML that it would affect accuracy. That's just an assumption on my part. The triumph plug and the Knights have been no issue. Here is a breech plug with well over 50 shots today.

45KnightDiscElitewithLehighbulle-15.jpg

45KnightDiscElitewithLehighbulle-14.jpg

The flame channel stays clean and open. The savage plug closes the more you shoot.

I have a Genesis and use BH209 and have also seen the build up in the breach. after just 12 to 15 shots its getting ugly. I use an 1/8in drill bit to rough out and then soak in hoppes.

I think the main thing is that with BH209 IF you miss cleaning your gun for a few days for whatever reason you dont have to lay in bed wondering how bad your pitting your barrel. it is not a cure all, but surely helps the nerves 8)

g.g. said:
I think the main thing is that with BH209 IF you miss cleaning your gun for a few days for whatever reason you dont have to lay in bed wondering how bad your pitting your barrel. it is not a cure all, but surely helps the nerves 8)

Absolutely! One may always run a patch down the barrel with any kind of gun oil a time or two and take care of the details later.

I shot the stuff from March-October with only light swabbings of Hoppes, without any concerns. I also did not experience any flash hole build-up. I like the stuff a lot, it's a great time saver.

greatbasin said:
I shot the stuff from March-October with only light swabbings of Hoppes, without any concerns. I also did not experience any flash hole build-up. I like the stuff a lot, it's a great time saver.

I don't think any of us have had flash hole build-up, how about the flame channel in front of the flash hole. The Knights and T/C's I think are all 1/8" (.125") diameter. A lot of people didn't think they were getting any build-up, until they got out the drill. :shock: :shock:

The TC's that I have had in the past with the speed breech build up carbon pretty fast. With my .45 Knight Disc, for what ever reason, I have had very little to drill out at the end of the day.

Busta said:
greatbasin said:

I don't think any of us have had flash hole build-up, how about the flame channel in front of the flash hole. The Knights and T/C's I think are all 1/8" (.125") diameter. A lot of people didn't think they were getting any build-up, until they got out the drill. :shock: :shock:

yep!

cayuga
Dave , I ran a can through my powder measure set for 100gr by volume and got 63 loads. Hope that helps. Lee

Busta said:
greatbasin said:

Maybe I have my terminology wrong or maybe I don't know the difference between a flash hole and a flame channel ??? But I had a little build-up on the end of my breech plugs (outside rim) but nothing a scotchbrite pad could'nt fix. Can't say I've ever wanted to use a drill on any part of the plug hole or channel.

I'm just about to get started again for spring bear and I'll let you guys know if it's any different.

Latest posts

Back