TC 50 cal. Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummy1

Reaction score
Just picked up a TC Hawken. Is anyone having luck using the Mag Spark with this gun. I read three posts on it a while back but wasn't sure what the verdict was. I know FG had a QC issue with his but I'm not sure if it was resolved.

apparently the original owner is making them again by his own hand and has improved them.

FrontierGander said:
apparently the original owner is making them again by his own hand and has improved them.
Are you using them now, or did you give up?

Not sure about any of that yet Pete. Just won the gun on GB last night. I'm open for all ideals. I do have a good supply of BH and one jug each of triple se7en and Pyrodex RS. Never shot a SL before so I'm the new kid in school.

I've never used anything but #11 caps. Worked fine for me. However, I just used BP, or Pyro.

BH is hard enough to get to work in inlines.

Muley said:
I've never used anything but #11 caps. Worked fine for me. However, I just used BP, or Pyro.

BH is hard enough to get to work in inlines.
Think I would like to get the taste of using something other the BH. All the cleaning and such sounds great  :pale: . Do you have a load you would suggest to start with?

No i havent used one since the last time it broke in half lol. Im sure they fixed it now from what ive heard. They made it beefier.

Like Pete said , use no 11 caps and Black powder . And cleaning afterwards is not as bad as everyone makes out , just get some Ballistol for the cleaning. Works like a charm  :)

I have one that I've used since I got it and have shot 3 deer with it plus range time. The primers are somewhat difficult to remove quickly for fast reloading. Having a pocket knife handy to get under the edge of the lip of the primer frees it up easy.
I shoot BH209 and sabots out of mine but it also does real well with maxi-balls.

It's on this gun. It's covered in the photo by an empty .45 auto case as a safety precaution.

4PointMuzzleloadweb_zps26118fee.jpg

Here's a better picture of it.

SileHawkenMag-Sparkweb_zps3f6c6d48.jpg

Oops! I saw it was in the title. I was looking in your posts. You probably don't want to use real BP, so 3F Pyrodex will work ok. That's Pyro P powder.

Try a .490 round ball with a .015 patch, and 75gr of powder to start. You'll have to play with the powder amount to find the most accurate. Start at the 75gr and go up from there for hunting loads.

Try to find CCI mag #11 caps. I get the most reliability with those. Keep the nipple picked clean. When you load the powder, tap the side of the barrel as you lean it in the direction of the nipple. That will help get the powder in the breech channel, and under the nipple.

When it starts to get harder to load. Use a spit patch in the bore followed by 1-2 dry patches. Don't pump the patches. Just down and up once. If you pump the patch it tends to fill the breech channel with fouling.

If you have problems. Post them.

One other thing. A spit patch doesn't mean to slobber all over the patch. I just lick the patch one time.

Don't use used patches.  :clown:

Muley said:
One other thing. A spit patch doesn't mean to slobber all over the patch. I just lick the patch one time.

Don't use used patches.  :clown:
Cant turn them over aah

Used one this year for Delaware muzzleloader took 3 deer with a Traditions Deerslayer 50 cal. Used CCI ml 209 primer and 71.5 Grs (by weight) of Black MZ.  You must lube all the threads so the top half comes off easy and having a knife or a similar tool does help to remove the primer if you've fired a number of shots.  Ignition is super instantaneous .

A .490" round ball, .018" pillow ticking patch, (You can buy pillow ticking material at Walmart by the yard) wash it,  cut into 1"X1" squares, and 90 grains of FFG Goex Black Powder, with a #11 cap. Be sure to  dry patch the barrel before you first load, and snap off 2 to 3 caps to dry out the flash channel. If you do this you will have reliable instant ignition. I've been shooting my T/C Hawken for 20 years, and this works for me.

Back