TC 50 cal. Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to cap/deprime with the rifle at full cock, I still do that with the #11 caps though.

These work great on all hammer guns I have 45,50,54,80 gr Black powder or prydox R an maxi or round ball

With my Traditions I was fine at half-cock, but had to go to full cock with my Cabelas Sporterized Hawken.  I was told that the was an issue with certain 209 primers sticking, but the CCI and the Winchester 777 both worked the same for me

Muley said:
Oops! I saw it was in the title. I was looking in your posts. You probably don't want to use real BP, so 3F Pyrodex will work ok. That's Pyro P powder.

Try a .490 round ball with a .015 patch, and 75gr of powder to start. You'll have to play with the powder amount to find the most accurate. Start at the 75gr and go up from there for hunting loads.

Try to find CCI mag #11 caps. I get the most reliability with those. Keep the nipple picked clean. When you load the powder, tap the side of the barrel as you lean it in the direction of the nipple. That will help get the powder in the breech channel, and under the nipple.

When it starts to get harder to load. Use a spit patch in the bore followed by 1-2 dry patches. Don't pump the patches. Just down and up once. If you pump the patch it tends to fill the breech channel with fouling.

If you have problems. Post them.
? Isn't 3F or Pyrodex P used in small cal. muzzleloaders and pistols?  :scratch:

drummy..........That's old school. Anybody who knows better, doesn't do that anymore. 3F flows better into the breech channel, ignites easier, has more power than 2F, has less fouling, and is cheaper to shoot.

Enough reasons?   :D

Muley said:
drummy..........That's old school. Anybody who knows better, doesn't do that anymore. 3F flows better into the breech channel, ignites easier, has more power than 2F, has less fouling, and is cheaper to shoot.

Yep. You'll learn me yet.
Thanks

I notice some user manuals state that for 3f, for use in 45cal and below, its just not keeping up to date with things IMO. Even Traditions will list 3f for their 50cals, especially the flintlocks.

drummy said:
Muley said:

Yep. You'll learn me yet.
Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------

Even though i'll probably never hunt with a sidelock again, because of my crap eyesight needing a scope. I still want everybody else to do it.  :D 

I suppose most user manuals are written to safe the uninitiated from blowing themselves up.

Ordered my CCI caps and a jug of Pyrodex p today from Carlos. You guys ant seen no dumb ? yet. Wait till I get my gun.

with pyro p the regulars cci will work just fine. Im using remington caps now due to the local store not stocking cci, they have done great as well.

Hey Pato
Any problems keeping the carbon out of the BP when using the Mag Spark with 209 on yor SL

Having to bring a knife to pry out the primers should answer that question.

drummy said:
Hey Pato
Any problems keeping the carbon out of the BP when using the Mag Spark with 209 on yor SL

You have to remove the Mag-Spark periodically and soak it in Hoppe's etc. then scrub it with a toothbrush. Since I was using BH209, I got lazy and waited too long between cleanings so I needed a blade to break the seal. After cleaning the fired primer lifts out easily.

Drummy, you don't need the magnum 209's I've used the CCI ML AND WINCHESTER 777 primers . The carbon is minor in my opinion but then I use straight Ballistoil to clean it out when done.

Back