TC 50 cal. Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always hear about how bad the smell is in Ballistol. I never even noticed it, and i've used it since the 70's.

I tried that Montana solvent, and almost passed out from the smell. What's in that stuff?

Can't smell it over your own stench  :suspect: 

Agreed, blackhorn209 solvent and their bore oils actually had me almost vomiting due to the super strong smell. It should be used as an " outside only" cleaner/oil.

I love the smell of Ballistol !

Jon I normally use the brake cleaner before going to the range to clean out all the oil in the barrel and flash channel.

Pete I have a lot of cars to keep running so i'll have at least 6 cans at any one time in the garage , and it is so easy to use . Just squirt a lot through the nipple till it runs out the barrel and then push a patch wetted with the stuff through the barrel a few times and after it dries out and you're ready to shoot.

I got the carb cleaner and just ordered the Ballistol and mink oil tallow. Where do you guy get your bees wax from. I may want to experiment?  :)

Drummy you need to get in contact with people that sell stuff to bee-keepers , they keep wax as well.

It's a great patch lube that won't harden when it's real cold out. You don't need much on a patch.

I usually sit in front of the TV, and lube the patches. It goes without saying that you start with unlubed patches. I just put a little between my thumb and fore finger, and rub it into the patch. Don't use too much. I like watching TV while doing it. Otherwise the boredom drives me nuts. The TV takes my mind off it.

Muley said:
It's a great patch lube that won't harden when it's real cold out. You don't need much on a patch.

I usually sit in front of the TV, and lube the patches. It goes without saying that you start with unlubed patches. I just put a little between my thumb and fore finger, and rub it into the patch. Don't use too much. I like watching TV while doing it. Otherwise the boredom drives me nuts. The TV takes my mind off it.
Hey Pete
Do you cover the whole patch? How do you store them after there lubed?

Yes, a thin coating on the whole patch, both sides. You don't need it on both sides, but it makes it easier to not have to figure out which side has the lube.

I would store them in a small tin like the Altoids tin to take with me to the range/hunt. The rest i'd keep in a a zip lock baggy. Sometimes on a hunt i'd use a loading blocks. TOW sells them, or you can make them easily. It's a small board with holes drilled in it. You push in the patched round balls in each hole. Just a little past level. Then it's easy to center one of the PRB's over the muzzle, and shove it in with a short starter. That's easier than messing with the patches while hunting. Sort of an old style speed loader.

Like these.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/152/1

Muley said:
Yes, a thin coating on the whole patch, both sides. You don't need it on both sides, but it makes it easier to not  have to figure out which side has the lube.

I would store them in a small tin like the Altoids tin to take with me to the range/hunt. The rest i'd keep in a a zip lock baggy. Sometimes on a hunt i'd use a loading blocks. TOW sells them, or you can make them easily. It's a small board with holes drilled in it. You push in the patched round balls in each hole. Just a little past level. Then it's easy to center one of the PRB's over the muzzle, and shove it in with a short starter. That's easier than messing with the patches while hunting. Sort of an old style speed loader.

Like these.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/152/1
I"m a wood worker so I think I can make one of those boards
Thanks for the reply

drummy said:
Clyde said:
If you can stand the smell get one cleaner that can do it all Ballistoil get a spray bottle fill it about a 1/4 full then add water that will clean anything except BH209 .  Then oil the weapon including the stock with straight Ballistoil.  Straight Ballistoil will clean BH 209 if you shoot that too !
which Ballistoil do you use? I see they have 3-4 different products

My storage thing for patched round balls is different. It's a short piece of PVC pipe that holds five patched round balls. Just push a patched ball out with the short starter, right onto the muzzle of the gun.

Yep, i refuse to use ballistol: The best patched round ball lube i've used is GoJo. Thanks, Don Jose.

Drummy if you are lazy and like the patches to lube themselves just take some lube and put it in the bottom of a pill bottle.

Next take about 10 patches stacked on top of each other and place inside the bottle and put another glob of lube on top of the patches.

Repeat till the container is full to the point that you can just get the cap on . Secure the cap with masking tape and set the bottle in a sunny or warm place for the day .

After 1 day the heated lube will have migrated through all the patches .

If there is too much lube on the bottom patches just wipe it off but remember to use less the next time out .

falcon said:
My storage thing for patched round balls is different.  It's a short piece of PVC pipe that holds five patched round balls.  Just push a patched ball out with the short starter,  right onto the muzzle of the gun.  

Yep, i refuse to use ballistol:   The best patched round ball lube  i've used is GoJo.   Thanks, Don Jose.  
Got any pics?

In the 60s and 70s i went to a lot of muzzleloader shoots and turkey shoots. Most of the folks there used Ballistol. My 80+ year old mentor refused to use Ballistol: He won most of those matches.

Methinks there is better stuff out there.

Got any pics?
Yep.

DSC01630.jpg

DSC01633.jpg

Back