Teflon breechplug tape

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using the teflon breechplug tape on a Savage 10ML-II shooting smokeless powders? I've used it on a Knight and a T/C using Triple Se7en but have never tried it on my Savage. Just wondering if this is feasible or should I just stick to my NeverSeez Blue Moly?

There's really no need to use it while shooting smokeless powder. Ron :)

I use the pink waterpipe tape from Lowes. After having one stuck breech plug I don't want to go through that again. I also use a dab of RW blue stuff. It is harder to clean out of the threads but I use a 50 cal brush which is pretty effective.

Schoolmaster, I'm with you. I stuck the breechplug in my ML-I, and it cost me $100.00 to have Savage fix it. I use both tape and anti-sieze. I don't want to spend another c-note on it!

Blue-Dot-37.5

I use the NAPA Brand(automotive store) copper anti seize part#765-2569! I have never had a breech plug stick while using it. Heck I even use it on my smoke poles,works like a charm. In the Savage Manual is says to (lightly coat) the breech plug threds. I make sure all the threds are full of anti seize,and no problems. A can of this stuff will last years! Ron S (NON-COMPENSATED ENDORSER):D

Ron S said:
I use the NAPA Brand(automotive store) copper anti seize part#765-2569! I have never had a breech plug stick while using it. Heck I even use it on my smoke poles,works like a charm. In the Savage Manual is says to (lightly coat) the breech plug threds. I make sure all the threds are full of anti seize,and no problems. A can of this stuff will last years! Ron S (NON-COMPENSATED ENDORSER):D

I use the copper stuff with no problems in (4) Savages now. :wink:

big6x6 said:
I stuck the breechplug in my ML-I, and it cost me $100.00 to have Savage fix it.

WOW! :shock:

Yup! The ML-I's require the factory to set the headspace when a new breechplug is used. I was told by Savage that they could not set the headspace for 2 different breechplugs in the same gun at the same time. (I thought I could have a spare here at the house, but Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!)

Blue-Dot-37.5

i havent used grease in forever, just wrap the threads good with white teflon tape shoot away. i use it on the vent liner too and i have never had anything stick. it really works well on the ruger as the threads s.m.i. uses is really condusive to the teflon tape.
sb

I've been using it on the last 2 Triple Se7en guns that I've owned and it sure beats the crap out of messy anti-seize grease when it comes time to clean up the gun! I've not tried it out on my Savage yet, but I really don't see why it won't work just as good with it shooting smokeless powder. It would sure make clean up time a lot easier when cleaning the Savage as the breechplug threads are kinda hard to get to and clean thoroughly.

Nic_58 said:
I've been using it on the last 2 Triple Se7en guns that I've owned and it sure beats the crap out of messy anti-seize grease when it comes time to clean up the gun! I've not tried it out on my Savage yet, but I really don't see why it won't work just as good with it shooting smokeless powder. It would sure make clean up time a lot easier when cleaning the Savage as the breechplug threads are kinda hard to get to and clean thoroughly.

Get you a T/C breech cleaning brush and put a patch over the end. You can get'em at Wally World. :wink:

dwhunter said:
Get you a T/C breech cleaning brush and put a patch over the end. :wink:

That's what I do, use the breech brush with either a solvent soaked patch or paper towel wrapped around it to clean the threaded area out. Works pretty good.

After reading a post on Slick-50 grease and trying it it will be all I use in the furture.After 60 or more shots with smokeless my plugs and nipples of my guns came out with only finger tightness just the way they went in.After 25 shots with tripple 7 i had the same results.The cost is less than $4.00 for a tube that fits a small grease gun,that's years of uses .No more teflon tape for me.

Back