"Throwing" BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSSP

Reaction score
Using a Harrell's Culver powder meter. Is it safe to throw my initial charges so I can weigh them?

Thank you,

Big Al

I suppose you could set it up to throw your charges. Would be no different than setting up for black or smokeless. Just check with a beam scale like any other powder.

Yes blackhorn is safe to throw charges.

Throwing blackpowder requires a special unit with metal hopper not create static.

So basically if powder ships in plastic container you can throw with any unit.
If ships in metal you need metal hopper unit.

Same for charge tubes plastic for most anything but black powder use glass tubes

Throwing blackpowder requires a special unit with metal hopper not create static.

Same for charge tubes plastic for most anything but black powder use glass tubes

Thank you! It never even crossed my mind NOT to put real black in those plastic tubes. now that you say it, I realize that i would have done exactly that. I never take 2 kinds of powder to the range at the same time. And i can see myself emptying my tubes of bh and filling them with black. I have almost zero experience with it.

Not so, I have prolly 20 lbs of Black that is in plastic shipping pkgs and the same brand of powder in older metal cans. All has been thrown with both RCBS and Lyman 55 as well as auto dispensers.

Thank you. Just spent the past hour filling BH209 tubes with 3-increments of .5 gr and marking then top of each with dry erase markers. Tomorrow, I go to the range. Glad it's only 1.25 miles away.

It is using a powder drop to measure the Blackhorn charge.

12882.jpg

I bought a Lyman 55 and of course I still have my RCBS 10-10 beam scale but shortly after I purchased a PACT electronic powder meter and scale and haven't touched the 55 for years. I makes a nice coat rack now.

OK, thanks.

Is there a list on here of abbreviations or slang, (like 'throwing') on this site so that us newbies can seem more intelligent, or at least less ignorant? thx
Its all good bud, we all gotta learn somewhere & you are in the right place & company to ask those questions. I've learned a ton in here over the last 6-7 mo. in MML and I still have to & want to learn tons more. This is the place & company for that.

When you switch from flintlocks to inlines, like I'm doing, there's a WHOLE LOT TO LEARN. New terms, new slang, new acronyms, new methodologies, etc.

Only a "Know-it-All", knows it all!!

I sure don't'!!!!!

Would be nice to have our own dictionary. Kind of like one of those appendices at the back of a high-tech war novel that explains all of the acronyms and words, like AK-47 and Sidewinder.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks.

Is there a list on here of abbreviations or slang, (like 'throwing') on this site so that us newbies can seem more intelligent, or at least less ignorant? thx
Its a common term for reloaders of cf ammo . Kinda describes how the tool does it .

Latest posts

Back