Time to apply for this years big game draw

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
Just learned that the new game synopsis our out. They're also available on line, so had to check it out. Read the part that concern me. The deadline for the big game draw is May 31 so I'd better get busy and submit my applications. Going to apply for Mule deer, although I know I won't be drawn. I've worked my way up to the "B" pool now and I have to keep applying to go forward. It'll be a couple more years before I get to the super "A" where I stand a chance. I'll also apply for antlerless mule deer. This draw is a givin since they have 500 licences for the zone I hunt and they can't get that many applications for some unknown reason. Because the zone is overrun with mulies, if drawn, you get 2 tags for the price of one. Then after the draw is completed any unsold tags go on sale and I can pick up 2 more. It's what I did last year and end up with 4 mulies does. Of course either sex white tail tags are sold across the counter. The only other option I have is to buy an over the counter archery mule deer tag which gives me a chance at a Mulie buck.
Only 4 more months, Sept 1, till archery season starts :D

Down here most of the appling is over. I put in for ML deer and cow elk (second choice) for Colorado. I drew last year for a bull tag so no chance this year :(
Ken

Hey RAF,
I'm getting pretty excited!! My wife and cousin are both Super "A" and should get drawn this year in the Sandhills. I plan on guiding both of them to some Big Bucks. My wife is much better than me at judging and keeping her cool, so I know she's going to get a whooper (she hates ground shrinkage worse than I do)!

I'm really hoping to get drawn for antelope this year too....its been a very very long time, and the Savage has a big goats name on it.

Have you ever checked out the draw statistics by zone? Most mule deer zones were being drawn from the "A" pool and many were still getting drawn in the "B" and "C". What zone are you hunting Mulies in?

I'll be getting my Archery Muledeer tag this year too. I've been shooting my new Bowtech every day and been shooting better than I ever have....my hopes are high!!

Good luck in the draw!!

Our lottery happens the end of April and during August. During September we can apply for anything left over.

I put in a for an either sex/antlerless combo. Don't know if I'll have a place to hunt but I put in for tags anyway.

Deernut, I hunt in 29E. Family has land there and no one but me and my hunting partner are in there for the better part of the season. A few other get permission but not until the rifle whitetail season. It's only 1/2 hour from my door.

Can't argue with that. Sometimes the best hunting is close to home and that it is exclusive makes it sweet.

I looked at last years stats for 29E, and they were drawing all the way from "C" pool for either sex muledeer tags. You should give it a try, you'd probably get drawn.

I will be applying to maintain or improve my status. My hunting partner was in the B pool last year and didn't get drawn. I know that antlerless is a sure thing. Was in C last year and got drawn. They didn't get enough application to give away all the quota so sold extra tags and I bought them too.

Deernut, the published numbers and draw system comparisons are very hard to read accurately. I have noticed super A applicants not getting a tag mean while a lower status pool applicant does. Which makes no sense in a preference draw system! I use them as well but take them with large quantities of salt until I see DRAWN and receive my tag.

Best of luck in the sandhills - should be a great hunt, winter was mild their and #10 is about as good as it gets for horns. Also hope you get your loper tag - where are you thinking about applying? I as well have a hankering for lope but may 99 this year, depends on what we're deciede to do for other game. We are thinking about putting in for anterless elk where we hunt reg season, cows are getting to plentiful and keeping the bulls spread out. So if we can give up the bugles and sept annual it may bump antelope.

I have a chance in A pool for a few zone for either -sex, but not sure what I'll do yet. I will be applying for does in a zone close to home (SMZ or one of the 29's are the likely choices). Moose - not likely for me to obtain a 2006 draw tag but a few partners are Super A... just might get in on calling swamp donkeys, as the guide.

Good luck to all in the draw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually still haven't decided which Antelope zone to apply for as my priority. I'll decide this week!
As far as draw numbers and super A applicants not getting a tag and lower status pool applicants do. In those instances, I think no super A applicants applied. If your prefence is zone 30, and you get drawn from the "B" pool, you would never reach super "A" status since you would revert back to "C". That's why some zones don't have Super "A" applicants because they never have to wait that long to be drawn.

Good luck on the draw its going to be a fun fall!

Back