Took the Knght out today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK1

Reaction score
Shot the Mountaineer today. Found a couple of great groups. 100 yards, 110gr BH209 (by volume), W209 primers.

First was the Barnes 290 boat tail in the included blue "easy load" sabot. Not in this gun! These things load HARD but, shoot very well.

Second was the Hornady Interlock flat point 44/265 in a green Crush Rib. They loaded much easier.

I was not able to get acceptable groups from the Bloodline 250's or 300's. I do intend to try the 275's yet as well as a few other bullets but I may go with the Interlock when the time comes.

null_zps766e9172.jpg

null_zpsefb3da31.jpg

:D 

No doubt  about it, that's some OUTSTANDING  shooting :!: :!: :!: Go going Greg :cheers: :cheers:

Ray................:shooter:

Those mountaineers look like nice guns. Which one do you have?  I've been looking at it and the ultra light. I'm seeing one of these in my future...

CoHiCntry said:
Those mountaineers look like nice guns. Which one do you have?  I've been looking at it and the ultra light. I'm seeing one of these in my future...
I have the Mountaineer Thumbhole 50 cal, it's not the ultra light.

hawgslayer said:
:D 

No doubt  about it, that's some OUTSTANDING  shooting :!: :!: :!: Go going Greg :cheers: :cheers:

Ray................:shooter:
Thanks Ray but, there is more work to be done here :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Spitfire said:
Not a whole lot of work when looking at groups you're getting now !
Thanks Spitfire. I will be swapping some sabots & see if I can get the Barnes to load easier. I was shocked at how hard it is to get them down the barrel!!! I have a few more bullets that I want t try as well. Next week should make the decision for me.

Is this gun wearing a Luepold CDS as well, trying to see if it's the shooter or the scope. I believe it to be the shooter getting the best out of his equipment. 
Carlos suggested the knight blue sabots and that made the difference for me. I bent my stock ramrod trying the original yellow. 
Looks like your biggest issue is having a deer come by.

biddler2 said:
Is this gun wearing a Luepold CDS as well, trying to see if it's the shooter or the scope. I believe it to be the shooter getting the best out of his equipment. 
Carlos suggested the knight blue sabots and that made the difference for me. I bent my stock ramrod trying the original yellow. 
Looks like your biggest issue is having a deer come by.
If I end up keeping this gun for the long haul it will have a CDS. I have a Vortex Viper on it & I love it. Fantastic scope! However, I really like eliminating hold over & I can do just that with the CDS.

It's shooting pretty good but I am still looking for the "sweet spot"

These bullets came with the blue sabots & those are the ones that are so tight! I'll try some crush ribs & some EZ loads & see what happens.

That's good info. They are expensive but I love being able to hold dead on & the glass in this scope is great. I may still move it to my 7-08.

They are cheaper than buying another Leupold with CDS for sure. $19.99-$24.99 for the CTS is very reasonable IMO and would work well on your Vortex I bet. Too bad my scopes all have incompatable turrets or I would try some.

Try the blue knight sabot you will like it .http://www.knightrifles.com/EZ-Load-Sabots-BT-M900137/

a1smokepole said:
Try the blue knight sabot you will like it .http://www.knightrifles.com/EZ-Load-Sabots-BT-M900137/
LOL.....You guys keep missing the fact that I WAS using the blue sabots

MLN1963 said:
They are cheaper than buying another Leupold with CDS for sure. $19.99-$24.99 for the CTS is very reasonable IMO and would work well on your Vortex I bet. Too bad my scopes all have incompatable turrets or I would try some.
According to their chart the replacement speed dial for my Viper is $109.95. I think Leupold is 40 bucks. I also like the Fire Dot reticle on the Leupold.

Check out the first link. It is a custom label that goes on your turret. $20-$25

a1smokepole said:
My bag did not see that.
It's ok....you were the second one to tell me that :lol!:

I'm going to try them in crush ribs & EZ loads

tremendous groups. your a great bench shooter. i can't get groups like that with my centerfires with factory ammo. nice

Back