Took the LHR Redemption to the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smokin' Joe said:
No problem Muley, I am enjoying the thread.

I did re-read your response too. So now I have to disagree with your statement. From my own personal experience, using a CCI Magnum shot shell primer in a CVA Accura "standard" breech plug (non Blackhorn 209) you will have many failures. I have picked bullets 5 feet in front of the shooting bench.

Not really Joe. I've shot at least 5-6lbs of BH from a stock CVA BP, and not one delayed, or misfire. I'm sure Jon has shot 10 times that much.

The trick was mag primers, a tight headspace, clean flash channel, and a tight load. Never failed.

We were shooting BH long before the BH BP's came out. ;)

Tight headspace is whats important to keep the hang fires - no fires down to zip.

I did have some loose fitting Thors that wouldn't fire with everything else being right. Stuck in a PB, and it fired fine. It was funny too. The primer fired, and the powder and Thor just poofed out about 10 ft.

So, it all helps with the stock plug.

Curious, I had a terrible time with My Accura MR the first time I took it to the range until I realized I had the wrong Breech Plug installed. Quickly changed it out with the BH BP, then it fired perfect every time.

Thanks for the report Joe. I have been curious how they would do at the range. I read Carlos' report but he is not normal!

John

Smokin' Joe said:
Curious, I had a terrible time with My Accura MR the first time I took it to the range until I realized I had the wrong Breech Plug installed. Quickly changed it out with the BH BP, then it fired perfect every time.
Was everything right? Mag primers, tight headspace and load. Plus a clean flash channel? I would run the drill in the channel every 4-5 shots. It's important with the stock BP.

You can get sloppy with the BH BP. With the stock one you have to have everything perfect.

I solved the problem by using a Blackhorn 209 Breech Plug. In fact, I have a brand new one that is used only for hunting. I have one in the rifle and spare used only for the range. :D I'm good to go!

Yes, but we need to find out why the stock BP didn't work for you. Others might be reading, and not want to buy a new BP.

Well....your thoughts are good and all have a potential to restrict ignition. The rifle was brand new at the time. The BP was new and clean. I didn't run a drill bit through the flash channel every 4 or 5 shots but it never occurred to me either and I used CCI Mag primers. The only thing I changed was the bLackhorn 209 BP. In my opinion, CVA modified their BP plug for use with BH209 for a reason.

They did it so you didn't have to have everything perfect. More reliability for the lazy. :clown:

Back