Underhammers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman1

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a love affair for underhammers. I know most traditionalist don't consider underhammers to be traditional. Nor do most believe fast twist barrels to be traditional.

While I might be able to sorta agree that fast twist barrels are not traditional (even though they were used pre-breechloading) I would disagree that underhamers are not traditional.

Underhammers came into play pre-percussion in the early 1800's with flint locks. Made for a faster lock time and more reliable ignition. It just so happened that the percussion cap was patented and released @ the same time so it was natural for the underhammer to be made into percussion.

Just curious as to how many here think of underhammers as non traditional? I'm not trying to pick a fight, just curious.

So, do you consider underhammers traditional as I do?

yes, and saying fast twist is not traditional is incorrect too. Great experimentation was going on in the old days as to rifling type, style, and twist. Those who only view traditional through the narrow lens of the American frontier miss the greater scope of British, German, Swiss and other continental makers.

Look up an old bench shooter called Brockway, or Salk all used underhammers and fast twist 1800's.

45cal said:
Look up an old bench shooter called Brockway, or Salk all used underhammers and fast twist 1800's.

Salk - do you mean George Schalk (or Schalck).

As for underhammers, I once saw a rare Nichols & Lafever underhammmer Long Range rifle that was - just incredible! I think I've seen a photo somewhere as it's one I wanted to copy for myself - I'll see if I can find the photo and post if you're interested.

91c1dde3-1.jpg

Squeeze:
That is a very nice modern slug gun. That's a Webb Terry large action, I would guess the set up is 50+ pounds. Those are probably the most accurate ML made - I've always referred to them as ballistic instruments.
It's a very specific game.
Thanks
Still looking for the N&L photo...

Got to go to the range with my h&p buggy rifle today. The Black Widow Conicals shot really well, better than prb. Fun little gun to shoot but I'm going to be putting a .32 cal barrel on it this winter if all goes well.

Can't believe someone text me earlier and asked of the name of the rifle with the negative heal/toe. Beside this recent post, I haven't looked at it in a few years. Went to look again and this time I found the correct book!
I want to build this rifle, got the components to make one similar with the exception of the action - must get to work! But,I'm slow when it comes to projects like this.

Attachments

• N&L underhammer.jpg
    N&L underhammer.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 866
That is a beautiful gun! Probably have to mortgage the house to afford it though.. :drool:

Latest posts

Back