Update: Blue Dot's CROSSVILLE, TN HOG HUNT: March 31-April 3

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chief, the larger marine type are usually available at Sams Club at the best price Ive found. $30-40 for a 120 or 150 if i remember. White Igloo's. Dont have the roped wooden handles or seats though. :lol:

I'm not sure if my 1988 Suburban could make it to Crossville so I will be driving my Malibu which my big freezer completely takes up rear seat & all my guns, bullets & powder being hauled fill the trunk. :lol:

According to Susie at Loshbough, 1 piggie per 120 qt cooler leaves enough room for ice. I purchased a 120 qt white marine cooler at Wal-Mart after I got back from the trip, so I'll throw that in the trailer.

Blue-Dot-37.5

BD, my read is that you only get 50-60 lbs max of meat out of an average 200 pounder (processed yield not quartered)? A big part of weight is head and noneatable stuff (to most :lol: )
I plan to have processed & vac packed like last year at Wyatts. They do a fine job! Will opt for med on sausage instead of mild though.

Loggy:

I had Wyatt's process mine last year too. Had mild sausage done and will go with medium this year also. They do an excellent job for a reasonable price!
Blue-Dto-37.5

Looks like I'll be taggin along with batchief on this one.. Looking forward to meeting all of you. looks like a pretty good crew.... I think I am just gonna hunt "old school" with my 41 mag Blackhawk and iron sights. It hasn't failed me yet!. See you all in TENN!

Batchief909 said:
Gundude's in for hog brains too.... :roll: :lol:

Hey Batchief...looks like there is going to be alot of Crossville sausage in Indiana after these two hunts are done!

It appears that way! :wink: I'm honestly looking forward to this trip. Getting not one,,but TWO great groups of guys together for some hunting and shooting. It just doesn't get any better than this! Seeing some old friends again,,and meeting new,,,,you betcha! :wink:

Looks fwd to meeting you Gundude & great you can make it! Be sure fun to meet all the great guys here.

That 41 should be fine on a pig. I've taken several deer in the 100-150 lb class with a super red 44 & it knocked them on their ass. :lol:

Update on Breakfast. Picked up 5 pounds of Premium Quality scrapple but couldnt get any brains. I did manage to get a block of Pickled Pig Feet though to take up the shortfall. Best lookin souse I've seen in years!!Sounds like with what Blue Dot & Clint will be bringin we would be in Hog Eatin Heaven!! There likely will be ample supply of oatmeal etc. in Lodge for the nonmeat eaters.

Loggy said:
Looks fwd to meeting you Gundude & great you can make it! Be sure fun to meet all the great guys here.

That 41 should be fine on a pig. I've taken several deer in the 100-150 lb class with a super red 44 & it knocked them on their ass. :lol:

Update on Breakfast. Picked up 5 pounds of Premium Quality scrapple but couldnt get any brains. I did manage to get a block of Pickled Pig Feet though to take up the shortfall. Best lookin souse I've seen in years!!Sounds like with what Blue Dot & Clint will be bringin we would be in Hog Eatin Heaven!! There likely will be ample supply of oatmeal etc. in Lodge for the nonmeat eaters.
Hey loggy, what's in scapple anyway? :wink:

Awwwww man,,,,I was trying to forget.... :( I have had some of the "store bought" stuff the last couple years bear hunting in Pennsylvania,,as my partner loves Scrapple. I just came to the conclusion that you have to "acquire" a taste for it...... :lol: Ethiopians might like it though.... :roll: :wink:

IH,

The scrapple I got has the best of all natural ingredients. :wink:

The souse has thee very best cuts of Pigs Feet jelled-up in a vinegar based medium. Sometimes I add just a touch more of vinegar with a lil salt & pepper. I really have to control myself these next couple of days & refrain from partaking. :lol:

Souse!? Heck, I haven't had that since I was a kid. The local Mom & Pop grocery store used to sell it. The grocery store is now a video store.......

Blue-Dot-37.5

Patrick,

Standard gear for sure. Here's one that gives 7 Day Forecast Thru Saturday. Not bad...less than 50% Chance Rain through Saturday. Only 20% chance showers Saturday. Decent temps too! Forecast likely will change 100 times before trip. I always shop around for the most favorable weather report! :lol:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.p ... N&site=OHX

I didn't have a set of warm weather hunting rain wear, but now I'm all set. Stopped at Cabelas last Saturday and picked up a set of their Rain Suede bibs/jacket, along with a set of Full Draw boots. Besides, where I'm hunting I won't get wet anyway, only the walk to and fro. 8)

Loggy:

Could we take a donation of fresh brains from one of the hogs that we shoot? I'll donate mine since I don't plan on having the head mounted unless it's really huge. I plan on going after one for the freezer, not the wall. What IS in scrapple? I figure that if it's cooked, it can't kill ya! (meat wise that is! :lol: )

<5 days and counting!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Latest posts

Back