UPS Shipment Oops!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new UPS regulations, effective Aug. 29-2022, impose stricter shipping rules for firearms.
They are Anti-Gun so it's really no wonder about this type of issue plus they do hire felons.
Since rules for UPS shipping firearms have been ratcheted up, FedEx and USPS is a safer bet, and the best thing is to dissemble the gun down to as small of a package as possible and over pad pad it, Insurance is always iffy at best. I always check the tape to see if the original taping has been tampered with because UPS reserves the right to open and inspect any package tendered to it for transportation. Sorry about your rifle that's un call for and malicious!

Last edited:
I try to camouflage my guns I ship as much as possible. I wouldn’t put it past someone with anti-gun beliefs to span it across two crates and “accidentally” drop another crate on it. I’ve even considered buying a bunch of golf club stickers to slap on the boxes. Food processing equipment. I like that. I just don’t see how they could have broken it in a crate without removing it.

Side note, unless something has changed in the last few months, it is 100% legal to ship long guns through USPS. You need a special permit to ship handguns. In my experience, many USPS do not know you can legally ship long guns. Another reason to camouflage the package and disassemble to fit in a smaller box. Besides, USPS demands it’s unrecognizable as a firearm anyway so if you use an old Remington box, make sure you wrap it.

Just a few years back I received a smoothbore gun from a builder and it was delivered via UPS. On opening the crate the first thing I noticed was that the hammer, with flint, had been snapped off and broken. I sent the lock back to the builder for repair.

Several weeks ago I securely wrapped an important VHS tape and mailed it off at the USPS P.O. It has been weeks and weeks and the tape never arrived. I now trust NO SHIPPER at all, but what's the alternative?

I had a issue with FedEx last year.I ordered 10 boxes of 5.56.The got "stuck" 30 minutes away for weeks, but they said I couldn't come get them.When they did arrive I was leaving and met the driver at the end of the driveway. He handed them to me and I thought it felt light.There was a precise cut at the top on one side and two boxes were missing. I didn't notice till I got home.I believe the driver did it because I know he likes guns and always seemed a bit "shifty" to me

I have shipped hundreds of guns through out my life. I worked in the gun industry for about 15 years,
Yes some things got broken that was plan negligence of shipping companies.
Any long gun that could be taken apart to includes muzzleloader were taken apart with barrel and stock wrapped separately then put together and wrapped again..
Since then Iver never had a gun arrived broken, lots of damaged box’s
To me its worth the extra time money and patience to super wrap firearms and not “hope they get there ok”
I had plenty of damaged box’and a couple lost boxs that were found at some point.
I guss my point is Don’t be lazy about shipping your stuff. Bad things happen, and yes sometimes on purpose…

UPS is the worst shipper you can use. Always break down whatever you are shipping into the smallest parts and use ridgid foam and even some wood to protect your item. Plan on having it drop 20 feet upon a concrete floor. Then thrown 30 feet against a wall. If you are not a retailer then forget fair insurance coverage even if you pay for it.

The box wasn’t really damaged at all, except the bottom where the end if the barrel was, it just had a couple of wrinkles around it. When i opened the package and pulled the gun out, as it was totally encased in bubble wrap, the barrel was poked through the bubble wrap. Their was one other small hole in the box, about mid way, about the size of a penny. I am thinking that this was the hammer. I am thinking that either it fell or got tossed and the heavy end, which was the barrel landed first. It had to be quite a distance in order to break it that bad…it really was a very nice gun for the money, being a Bobby Hoyt barrel, and a .45 cal. It sad to think people know when they mishandle our packages, accidentally or on purpose, and do not care enough to report it. I guess i will never hold her or cradle her in the crook of my arm, but it sure makes that buck happy it did not get an I-bullet through the ribs.. shorty

anymore when i HAVE to ship a long gun, i dismount the barrel and put it into a piece of pvc then tape the caps on the ends.
i put a piece of pvc pipe in the barrel channel just the length of the channel. then i wrap the stock in bubble wrap with a wood 1x4 on each side of the stock wrapped in the layers. then i crate it similar to Jim Kiblers crate.
needless to say i have all but stopped shipping long guns. old guy's need rest and when i ship a gun, i don't sleep until the buyer sends me a thumbs up.
the current situation with shipments extends far beyond guns. I bought 500 remington 405g bullets from a fellow in Georgia i think it was.
the box was sealed with what seemed to be a whole roll of packing tape. the package went through Kansas City. from there on it stayed at least two days at each location it passed through. the distribution center in Spokane Wash. put an "Arrived damaged" sticker on it. 28 days after shipping day it was delivered into my mailbox. EMPTY.
at least the USPS documented the fact it was damaged before delivery. the seller eventually received insurance pay out, but somewhere some scum is probably still shooting my 405g hard to get bullets.
i am good friends with our mailman. after the above fiasco, while hunting Pheasent, he told me that small, heavy for size boxes just don't make it through the system anymore. chances of scoring Gold, Silver, or other precious metal is just too tempting for the handlers.

The box wasn’t really damaged at all, except the bottom where the end if the barrel was, it just had a couple of wrinkles around it. When i opened the package and pulled the gun out, as it was totally encased in bubble wrap, the barrel was poked through the bubble wrap. Their was one other small hole in the box, about mid way, about the size of a penny. I am thinking that this was the hammer. I am thinking that either it fell or got tossed and the heavy end, which was the barrel landed first. It had to be quite a distance in order to break it that bad…it really was a very nice gun for the money, being a Bobby Hoyt barrel, and a .45 cal. It sad to think people know when they mishandle our packages, accidentally or on purpose, and do not care enough to report it. I guess i will never hold her or cradle her in the crook of my arm, but it sure makes that buck happy it did not get an I-bullet through the ribs.. shorty
don't give up on that piece of wood Shorty! i have seen and repaired worse. that is very repairable. a dirty rotten shame to have to be repaired but not firewood for sure.

don't give up on that piece of wood Shorty! i have seen and repaired worse. that is very repairable. a dirty rotten shame to have to be repaired but not firewood for sure.
Absolutely, I have repaired guitars with broken necks using Titebond 2 and sometimes was hard to even see the damage. They destroy guitars all the time out of ignorance and negligence.

Absolutely, I have repaired guitars with broken necks using Titebond 2 and sometimes was hard to even see the damage. They destroy guitars all the time out of ignorance and negligence.
I count myself lucky ive shipped 2 guitars and haven't had an incident but, I'm looking to sell the last one locally if possible 🤔

Shorty bought a muzzleloader from me earlier this week. Check out the before shipping and after arrival!View attachment 35279View attachment 35280View attachment 35281View attachment 35282
UPS has a pogram going on against firearms. (In this case, against gun owners) He is lucky it arrived at all. I am surprised UPS accepted it since they have an official policy of NOT shipping firearms... Here is their official policy -- "Shipments containing Firearm Products are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are federally licensed and have an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products."
So unless you are an FFL or a firearms manufacturer and have an approved shipping agreement your experience is what you can expect. This has been discussed rather extensively in this forum over the past several months and the basic concept is NEVER try to use UPS. USPS or FedEx only....I am sorry this happened to you
ps not infrequently the broken item arrives with tire or track marks from a skid loader that has run over the package---more than once!
pps When I applied for an "approved agreement" I was told I did not and would not qualify. I assumed it was volume related and when I asked for what would it take to qualify I was told "doesn't matter, you won't qualify". so they will not tell you what is needed to obtain an approved shipping agreement

Last edited:
Side note, unless something has changed in the last few months, it is 100% legal to ship long guns through USPS. You need a special permit to ship handguns. In my experience, many USPS do not know you can legally ship long guns. Another reason to camouflage the package and disassemble to fit in a smaller box. Besides, USPS demands it’s unrecognizable as a firearm anyway so if you use an old Remington box, make sure you wrap it.
Very true...but if you ask for a supervisor they will tell the window clerk that shipment is OK as long as the box does not have any indication that it contains a firearm or firearm parts. Handguns, however, require an FFL

Latest posts

Back