Use of Different Wads and Smokeless Powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Primer Cup leakage is just one of many reasons that the custom builders moved away from 209 primers. Headspace control is probably the biggest reason as primer length varies significantly within and between manufacturers. I can deal/live with the little bit of leakage that I am getting. I clean the bolt face when I clean the gun which is usually once a year.

Okay. That is a lot worse that what I am getting with Federal 209As. I would try another brand to see if you get less leakage. I have seemed to get about the same amount of leakage with Winchester 209s as Federal 209As. I have not used Remingtons or CCIs in my SMLs.

I have Mark's adjustable, high pressure breech plug in. Its adjusted to the guns instructions, you have to slam it shut, lightly, to shut breech. This gives you very good primer crush. There is no leakage on the other end of the primer. I do not know the pressure of this load. I imagine around 35,000 psi. Talked to a few people and this load is within the limits for the patriots. I will change the kind of 209's i am currently using and see if that stops the cup leakage.....ty all...

Cups expand and then leak. I would try another brand of primer first. Double check for carbon in the plug too. As the flash channel shrinks from carbon the pressure reaching the primer grows.

Smart move, only have about 20 shots through the bushing. I use an air hose between shots to blow loose fouling out the bore. Then make sure i see daylight out through the breechplug/barrel. Ty , i will check it out...

Please note.. The 5/32” is not applicable to the Patriot high pressure breech plug. It has a carbide bushing with 0.035” hole.
https://woodmanarms.com/assets/manuals/Adjustable_Breech_Plug_Manual.pdf
??? The .035" Bushing Orifice is the Flash Hole that rests against the powder. The Flame Channel is the reservoir directly in front of the Primer pocket. Does the High Pressure Breech Plug have a Venturi between the Flame Channel & Bushing Orifice like one of the photos in the above Adjustable Breech Plug Manual?

https://woodmanarms.com/assets/manuals/Adjustable_Breech_Plug_Manual.pdf
??? The .035" Bushing Orifice is the Flash Hole that rests against the powder. The Flame Channel is the reservoir directly in front of the Primer pocket. Does the High Pressure Breech Plug have a Venturi between the Flame Channel & Bushing Orifice like one of the photos in the above Adjustable Breech Plug Manual?
This is what we have. I’ll certainly be looking for carbon buildup - thank you.
1657413765216.jpeg

You will need to clean out the ID between the Primer and Bushing with a drill bit by hand, I actually use a reamer, as it will fill with carbon. As it does, the Primer will see an increase in pressure.

Got to shoot patriot today. 100 yds. 3 shots. Then rang the 5" gong at 200 yds..very flat shooting gun and the recoil is like my 270. Not that bad. Sure is a great gun and a pleasure to shoot. The bullet to bore was a little learning curve. Got it now, had oView attachment 22073ther groups that were this good also. All bullet to bore...
Nice shooting

Latest posts

Back