Use of Different Wads and Smokeless Powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will need to clean out the ID between the Primer and Bushing with a drill bit by hand, I actually use a reamer, as it will fill with carbon. As it does, the Primer will see an increase in pressure.

If there is still blow through the primer, after reaming, removing the carbon in the flame channel, you may have a little too much 'crush' on the primers. Too much 'crush' can cause the primer blow through. Too little crush will allow blow by around the primer.

I like my Primer crush to be 0.002"-0.003". This is in a Remington 700 ML. Any more than that and you prematurely wear the Bolt Retention Screw. At 0.001", you could have leakage around the Primer. I have no experience with break actions. Your builder should be able to provide you with a target for Primer crush.

So i take my calipers and measure the length of a brand new primer. Place it in gun, open it up and remeasure the length of primer to see how much crush i have on it or do i have to fire the gun and then measure?? Ty GM-54...

Nope DONT FIRE IT

Measure a primer
Insert that primer and snap the action shut (if it needs more than a light snap it may be too tight)
Open the action and remeasure the primer

May want to check several primers for length too. They can vary quite a bit

These are manufacturers instructions for adjusting primer crush with adjustable breech plug. It refers to adjusting while trying to close lightly with the unique break trigger Patriot latch. Once adjustment is done it should close using normal pressure.
Note that illustration shows low pressure breech plug. Instructions are same for high pressure breech plug that you have.

15B696BF-0AE4-4A66-B3EE-569E8B8F23CC.jpeg

EA666213-72C1-415F-8DB8-F8A55EE78ADC.jpeg

55gr of N120 and a 300gr is 44kpsi or very close. That is around 2350-2400fps too. So i would not exceed that. IIRC that was also the fps i got years ago so i believe the trace to be very very close.
dsqFuDg.png

Around 58gr will be max with a 275gr and 60gr max with a 250gr. Bullet brands like the Parker or Fury with thin jackets should give you real close to those numbers. N120 likes a bit more pressure than some powders but its so clean. Probably better to avoid it with the 250gr for temp stability reasons.

Sadly I understand that SR4759 is no longer made.

I’m hoping to use 11/59 N110/H322 combination as a cold weather load for 250grain bullets and lighter.

Powders that I have on hand are N110, N120, 5744, H322, IMR4198, Reloader7 and one small container of BH209. I’d be grateful for other useful duplex combinations

Cleaned the breechplug today. The crush on the primers was a little to much. Also the carbon build up was a factor in cup pressure. Cleaned the bore real good and breechplug. Only got 2" groups at 100 yds., should have left bore alone. Another lesson learned. The rem. Premier primers measured within .004, the 13 i measured. Easy to clean high pressure breechplug and very easy to set headspace for primer crush. Now i see why some people sort their primers. All said and done another good learning curve. Thank you all for your help...it is very much appreciated...

Back