V-2 sabotless PT 240's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregK1

Reaction score
Took the V-2 & the Optima out this morning. Nice day,but 17mph winds. The bullets seemed to do pretty well just the same & I really like the results with the PT Gold 240's sabotless. 110 grains seems to be the best. This may be mt hunting bullet. I also like the .475 Barnes MZ 275's in a CR sabot & 110 grains in my Optima. All shots at 100 yards & I'm not shooting for bulls yet, just groups while I hold on the bull.

4_9_2011.jpg
I knew that I didn't feel like I was set up properly on the one shot that's off, but couldn't talk myself into letting off the trigger & re-setting. Because I didn't....I got the flyer! These 240's really shoot well out of the V-2 & they knurl pretty easily too.

4_9_2012.jpg
Plenty good enough to kill a deer, but I want them tighter!

4_9_2010.jpg
My Optima, Lead Sled DFT, 616 primers, & a cup of black coffee from Arby's.......everything I need for a morning shoot :D

That's a heck of a crowd you have to elbow through at your range!!! :lol!:

Wish mine was as lightly used!!

That is an excellent group you got there with the 240's, and like I said before with all throw one out of the group once in a while. I will have to give them a try and see what they will do for me. How do you like sabotless compare to sabots. I like going sabotless a lot more now than with sabots, but that is just me. Great report and outstanding shooting.
Carlos

:D

Nice group with the 240's. Thats a great load you have there. GOOD LUCK :!:

Ray........ ;)

FrontierGander said:
damn! That pt gold group will work just fine!
I was very happy with that group! Thanks everyone. The range is usually empty on weekday mornings & I like that because I have no distractions.

cvilorio said:
That is an excellent group you got there with the 240's, and like I said before with all throw one out of the group once in a while. I will have to give them a try and see what they will do for me. How do you like sabotless compare to sabots. I like going sabotless a lot more now than with sabots, but that is just me. Great report and outstanding shooting.
Carlos
I am really happy & intend to shoot that gun sabotless with the 240's. I will get some Barnes 195's from you just to have on hand, but those 240's shot really nice & even the flier would have been in a deers boiler room. The 240 should be a very adequate deer bullet. If you get a bulk order of 240's let me know!!

Also Carlos....I need to say thank you for inspiring me to try sabotless. Your help has been greatly appreciated!

4_9_2014.jpg
Thunder53 said:
That's a heck of a crowd you have to elbow through at your range!!! :lol!:

Wish mine was as lightly used!!

Just a big empty range! I love that place!!! There is a lunch time crowd & an after work crowd that gets busy, but I rarely see anyone in the morning. I also stay away on Sat & Sun.

That IS a nice looking range. :twisted:

My local public range finally has opened during the week for the season (Thurs. & Fri.), but when I go there 20 minutes after it opened last Thursday, the place was already packed.

As it was pretty windy, I was sort of surprised.

Great shooting and nice post! Those naked 240's are surely keepers in a .45 bore. I'm willing to bet they will shoot out of my .45 Apex as well. My list of possible bullets for my .45 is growing.

This range is open sun up to sun down, 365 days. It covers a huge area, includes a lake with fish, as well as hunting privileges, handgun range, archery target range, skeet & trap, & a full 3D archery course.

inline50 said:
Great shooting and nice post! Those naked 240's are surely keepers in a .45 bore. I'm willing to bet they will shoot out of my .45 Apex as well. My list of possible bullets for my .45 is growing.
I am really pleased with them. Give them a try...I think you'll be pleased. I'm still working on the 275 grain Barnes for my Apex .50. I'm gonna try the Aerolite 250's in my Optima for deer because they group so well. Also, I'll get firsthand knowledge of terminal performance.

Don't forget.....Carlos has a great price on PT 260's

Great shooting! I would also like to say thanks to carlos for posting groups and information on shooting sabotless. My 45 V2 seems to like sabotless better than saboted. I used to shoot a 50cal and have some bullets for that ml that I can use in my 45. Again, great shooting with those 240 pt golds.

Slitrik said:
Great shooting! I would also like to say thanks to carlos for posting groups and information on shooting sabotless. My 45 V2 seems to like sabotless better than saboted. I used to shoot a 50cal and have some bullets for that ml that I can use in my 45. Again, great shooting with those 240 pt golds.
Thanks! :D I love going sabotless & my V2 45 is a tack driver & to this point it also likes the 240's sabotless better than any saboted bullet. I have not shot the Barnes 195gr in the smooth blue sabots yet, but I will be hunting with the 240 anyway. Carlos causes me to think outside the box & to try new things :D

Slitrik said:
This is all really interesting about sabotless bullets vs. saboted bullets. It seems to me in viewing the Shooting Range results that the closer you can get your bullet to match the bore diameter, the less likely you are to leave "room" for error. Any you're right that some of the popular sabot bullets for a .50 can be used in a .45 bore if properly fitted.

Latest posts

Back