Wad...No Wad

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I lean towards no wad with this thin jacketed bullet, but I'll have to shoot it again and also try some veggie wads. It's always interesting for me to see how a small change can affect the outcome. The wool wads sure did stink today with a very light wind blowing in my face:p

Remington 700ML, heavy contour Brux barrel
100yds
duplex with 10gr N110, 57gr H4198
250gr Hornady XTP, knurled then FF sized

No wad, I think I pulled the right shot but further testing is needed
fnfNc4w.jpg

same load with a wool wad
JV5XZNc.jpg

After seeing Rons groups with the Fury’s, it’s obvious what is or isn’t under the bullet makes a huge difference. With a group like that, I definitely wouldn’t go to the extra hassle of a wad.

Nice group but I agree that further testing would see if that is duplicated with wad/no wad.

After seeing Rons groups with the Fury’s, it’s obvious what is or isn’t under the bullet makes a huge difference. With a group like that, I definitely wouldn’t go to the extra hassle of a wad.

I have seen Wads MAKE, and BREAK Accuracy, I have been a BIG Fan of Wool Felt Wads from my Very Beginning in Muzzleloading, and have Spoken about them all along. The Card Type Wads have Proven Disastrous for the Most part with me, I have NO USE for them anymore. With a Lead Conical, Be it Grease Groove, or Paper Patch there will ALWAYS be an 1/8” Wool Felt Wad Between my Powder and Bullet Base, They have done nothing but help me

Yes, the smell of wool wads being shot out of my smokeless ml can be nasty. But when they help improve my groups down to bug holes they some how become the sweetest most fragrant aroma.☺

It’s funny you guy’s mention this, I Have never smelled them with my Real Blackpowder? When you find them, They look Re-Usable, Though i would never do that. I can see Smokeless getting ROUGH on them

It’s funny you guy’s mention this, I Have never smelled them with my Real Blackpowder? When you find them, They look Re-Usable, Though i would never do that. I can see Smokeless getting ROUGH on them
If the USPS is right, I SHOULD have had 500 new wool wads yesterday, maybe today. I have one more Satterlee test to do and will wait until I get the wads, AND THIS WEATHER to change. I may also redo my first Satterlee test to identify any difference in velocities between veggie and wool. It'll be interesting.
Once both Satterlee tests are completed, then it'll be an accuracy test between veggie and wool, still only at 100yds. Our witless governor allowed all the golf courses to open, yet all outdoor shooting ranges are closed, so no long range shooting yet.

If the USPS is right, I SHOULD have had 500 new wool wads yesterday, maybe today. I have one more Satterlee test to do and will wait until I get the wads, AND THIS WEATHER to change. I may also redo my first Satterlee test to identify any difference in velocities between veggie and wool. It'll be interesting.
Once both Satterlee tests are completed, then it'll be an accuracy test between veggie and wool, still only at 100yds. Our witless governor allowed all the golf courses to open, yet all outdoor shooting ranges are closed, so no long range shooting yet.

I will be watching for your Results :lewis: Velocity will be interesting to me, I’m gonna say no Difference? But If one has the Velocity Edge, I’m going with Vege Fiber

I will be watching for your Results :lewis: Velocity will be interesting to me, I’m gonna say no Difference? But If one has the Velocity Edge, I’m going with Vege Fiber
It'll be interesting no doubt. The velocities will tell me one thing, but it'll always be accuracy first. I've heard that in "some" cases the wool wad "may" provide the slightest advantage over veggie in accuracy in a certain barrel but, it may also be so slight it may not matter.
I'm thinking (probably not a good thing) that there may not be a need to do an entire Satterlee test again with Benchmark, rather test at the node with both veggie and wool for the ES/SD.

It'll be interesting no doubt. The velocities will tell me one thing, but it'll always be accuracy first. I've heard that in "some" cases the wool wad "may" provide the slightest advantage over veggie in accuracy in a certain barrel but, it may also be so slight it may not matter.
I'm thinking (probably not a good thing) that there may not be a need to do an entire Satterlee test again with Benchmark, rather test at the node with both veggie and wool for the ES/SD.

The one BIG thing I didn’t take in to acct is Smokeless powder, I wonder if it’s gonna EAT UP the Wool Wads, Causing more Problems than Good? Vege Fibre is FAR AND AWAY More Durable, Any of the Card Type Wads are. As i stated above, Shooting These Wool Felt Wads with Real BP, The Recovered Wads Look Re-Usable, NO DAMAGE to them at all.

Looking Back, i did Test a Group of .54 Cal Paper Patch Bullets (MK-85 Knight) with Triple Seven 3F Powder, and i used my 1/8” Wool Felt Wads, The Wool Felt Did their Job, Accuracy was GREAT, But those Recovered Wool Wads were RAGGED UP BADLY!! Unlike i had ever Seen? Triple Seven 3F got ROUGH on them!

I assume that as long as I get enough seal until obturation, it should be all I need. With SML there's just a ton of stuff yet to be learned, such as, I found out that the specific brake design "possibly" could change things. My tactical may react much different than a radial depending on which wad is used. Could there also be a 180° change when shooting BH209 through the rifle vs smokeless? Tons of stuff to be learned.
This new learning process is fun, but you also have to pay strict attention to what you're doing and in reality, that should always be the case anyway. It presents challenges, costs money, but its better than dropping 180grs of pellets down the bore, followed by a sabot and bullet, hoping like heck its going to be a good day.

I assume that as long as I get enough seal until obturation, it should be all I need. With SML there's just a ton of stuff yet to be learned, such as, I found out that the specific brake design "possibly" could change things. My tactical may react much different than a radial depending on which wad is used. Could there also be a 180° change when shooting BH209 through the rifle vs smokeless? Tons of stuff to be learned.
This new learning process is fun, but you also have to pay strict attention to what you're doing and in reality, that should always be the case anyway. It presents challenges, costs money, but its better than dropping 180grs of pellets down the bore, followed by a sabot and bullet, hoping like heck its going to be a good day.

This is a Hobby (Smokeless) I DEFINITELY plan to Jump in to, BOTH FEET :lewis: Go BIG, or Go Home 😃

This is a Hobby (Smokeless) I DEFINITELY plan to Jump in to, BOTH FEET :lewis: Go BIG, or Go Home 😃
Watch Jeff Hankins video on Cyclops. You’ve probably already seen it but, I’ll share the link for those who haven’t. I could see you with one of these some day😂. It has more giddy-up than a .338 Lapua and orobably more than my .416 Barrett. Quite impressive...

Watch Jeff Hankins video on Cyclops. You’ve probably already seen it but, I’ll share the link for those who haven’t. I could see you with one of these some day😂. It has more giddy-up than a .338 Lapua and orobably more than my .416 Barrett. Quite impressive...

Yep thats right up Idaholewis's alley right there !!! I can see mountain top to mountain top shots happening already !!! Better look into heat barrier coated brakes Lew !!! The NASA re-entry inspired stuff just might work for more than a couple shots before the brake melts off the end of the barrel !!! Lordy thats WILD !!! Oh look , my 350gr 220 Swift velocitied ana-mule just melted the brake !!!! Lmao !!! Definately needs that coating Lew !!! Think we oughta tell Hankins ??? Lol !!!

Mr Porter a 416 Barret ??? Geez i just might be a mellow character after all.....

Maybe somebody needs to offer Rockwool wads.....just sayin.....

Last edited:
Yep thats right up Idaholewis's alley right there !!! I can see mountain top to mountain top shots happening already !!! Better look into heat barrier coated brakes Lew !!! The NASA re-entry inspired stuff just might work for more than a couple shots before the brake melts off the end of the barrel !!! Lordy thats WILD !!! Oh look , my 350gr 220 Swift velocitied ana-mule just melted the brake !!!! Lmao !!! Definately needs that coating Lew !!! Think we oughta tell Hankins ??? Lol !!!

Mr Porter a 416 Barret ??? Geez i just might be a mellow character after all.....

Maybe somebody needs to offer Rockwool wads.....just sayin.....
That Barrett is a kick in the pants to shoot. Expensive as heck, but sure fun.

Well looky what the USPS dropped off. 500 should be a good start.........

View attachment 8891
Nice, that oughtta git ya started.
I decided to try some of the 060 vegi wads I keep hearin about. I ordered 1000 for 20.00. They were lost in the mail ( no tracking avail ) for 2wks on top of the extra wk they made me wait to file a claim & the near week it took to get shipped out. I filed the lost claim after 3wks since shipping number was created, then 3or4 days later the lost order show up outta nowhere ( tracking - or LACK OF tracking still shows it lost ) and the replacement order shows up. So I have 2000 of them .45 now. If they work great then wonderful, if they cause accuracy probs or just plain ole suck then that's a lotta suck to have sittin around I wasted my money on. I've been using 1/8" lubed felt wads in my rifles & wonder wads over powder wads in my BP shotgun. I'll have more BH 209/T7/& BP shortly so I'll see how it goes with the wads.

Back