Weighing BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDReed

Reaction score
Maybe I am over thinking this but how are you all weighing out your BH charges? I have a pocket scale that I use for checking arrow weights and it seems accurate enough for that but it only weighs in even increments. I wanted to weigh up some 77 grain charges but settled on 76 grains.

You guys think this is good enough? Seems like it still has to be better than doing it by volume. Do I need something more precise?

51Y3sgPFQLL._AC_.jpg

I weigh triple 7 on a carbon express archery digital scale it weighs to the .1 of a grain. I don’t know if it would effect the accuracy that much not being exact to the tenth but I like knowing I’m shooting the same load every time so I can’t blame my bad shooting on load variation.

I weigh triple 7 on a carbon express archery digital scale it weighs to the .1 of a grain. I don’t know if it would effect the accuracy that much not being exact to the tenth but I like knowing I’m shooting the same load every time so I can’t blame my bad shooting on load variation.

This one?

b7943af2-dc30-41b4-a644-f3abcd0f87b2_1.1514b68c40b58cf237fd493456b72245.jpeg

Because of the variation in lots most find better accuracy with volume measure. I reload and have a fine balance scale but have more consistent accuracy at 250 yards using a u-view funnel volume measure that I over fill then shave the top with the funnel. If I was going to use a scale I would use a chronograph and change the weight of powder to get consist velocity.

Because of the variation in lots most find better accuracy with volume measure. I reload and have a fine balance scale but have more consistent accuracy at 250 yards using a u-view funnel volume measure that I over fill then shave the top with the funnel. If I was going to use a scale I would use a chronograph and change the weight of powder to get consist velocity.

Interesting. It seems like almost everything I have read is that people prefer to weigh rather than to go off of volume.

BH 209 Weight appears to change from lot to lot. If you have a new bottle, weigh 5-10 charges at your preferred volume, then, use that average as a base line to weight the remainder of the loads from that bottle.

You’ll need to reset with each new bottole.

I use 100 volumetric grains every shot and it never fails to kill...deer, 350lb hog...whatever.i cant use 120 because fl humidity makes primers stick.oh btw i shoot a .50 cva optima LR with a scope.its a lot heavier built than the vortek.

I use 100 volumetric grains every shot and it never fails to kill...deer, 350lb hog...whatever.i cant use 120 because fl humidity makes primers stick.oh btw i shoot a .50 cva optima LR with a scope.its a lot heavier built than the vortek.
Help me out here....... you're saying that you can use 100gr BV fine BUT bc of Fl humidity ( and it really is incredibly humid here ) you can not use 120gr?????? I don't understand what diff the extra 20gr charge makes relative to humidity level causing primers to stick???
My Paramount charges are 105gr BW BH209- ZERO PROBS. My Accura V2 .45 shooting 100-120gr BW T7fff or 84gr BW BH209 - ZERO PROBS with humidity even on having them sit fully loaded.
My TC Seneca with a .40 cal fast twist that I only use T7fff in & usually shoot jacketed 10mm pistol bullets out of has been sitting fully loaded for a cpl wks ready to shoot - coyotes, bobcats & armadillos etc. ( I luv this lil ml & I shoot it a lot with a variety of bullet weights & types ) NO PROBS
What has been a complete mess is trying to shoot cast lead pistol bullets & conicals at my bench is the sun/heat melting all lube on all bullets in no time. Not fun to deal with at all. And the skeeters here will drain about a pint of blood an hr too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back