Western Powders Blackhorn 209 Breech Plug for CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossy535

Reaction score
I received my Western Powders breech plug from Carlos at Ed's Gunshop. Since it didn't come with a wrench or instructions, I'd appeciate any advice on torquing it down for the first time. I'm not sure of just how much muscle is needed to get the plug to initially seat properly. Just gudentite?

All I can tell you is when my CVA blackhorn plug came, with a wrench, there were instructions to really set it hard for the first time. I did, and even had to set it harder. After that, once it was loose, it comes out with just the fingers. I have no idea what yours will do or need.

Thanks cayuga, that's more info than I had initially!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My instructions also said that anti-seize is not needed but I applied a light coat anyway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Mine said the same thing, but I still put a small smear of Slick 50 One Grease on the threads. Maybe its old habit or just an ounce of prevention type of thing. Its easy to wipe off I figure.

It is unlikely that you will need the grease unless you let it get corroded. Personally I don't. Others use Teflon tape. Only once have I needed a socket wrench for my Encore plug and it was totally my fault. Left a load in by mistake for 10 months.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I used a screwdriver it left a couple marks but did not hurt a think . Works great. I did it twice with muscle behind it. I really feel do it until you can close, and cock hammer then you are done. Then get shim kit from Carlos your now set.

I used a screwdriver it left a couple marks but did not hurt a thing . Works great. I did it twice with muscle behind it. I really feel do it until you can close, and cock hammer then you are done. Then get shim kit from Carlos your now set.

Mossy535 said:
I received my Western Powders breech plug from Carlos at Ed's Gunshop. Since it didn't come with a wrench or instructions, I'd appeciate any advice on torquing it down for the first time. I'm not sure of just how much muscle is needed to get the plug to initially seat properly. Just gudentite?

Did you contact Carlos? Seems like he would take care of you if in fact it didn't come with something it should have.

Yep, talked with Carlos. The lower price Carlos is able to sell it for is at least partially due to not including a rather expensive wrench. Carlos, like Lester above, suggests simply using a screwdriver.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Lester7009 said:
I used a screwdriver it left a couple marks but did not hurt a thing . Works great. I did it twice with muscle behind it. I really feel do it until you can close, and cock hammer then you are done. Then get shim kit from Carlos your now set.

What is this "shim kit" you speak of?

Back