What do you think of the Firestick/Nitrofire system?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a new product intended to compete with the muzzleloader which uses the "Firestick" (Nitrofire). I am now looking for a company willing to mass produce it.

I have invented a new cartridge for muzzleloading rifles which is loaded from the muzzle but ejects itself from the barrel after use and is non-corrosive. This product sets a new standard in safety and reliability for muzzleloader ammunition.

A link is found below which demonstrates this new product.

YouTube video link:

Wow, just came back to this thread after posting it 2 years ago and it's generated a lot of good discussion!

I just bought a NitroFire and will practice up with it for next year's muzzle season. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wow, just came back to this thread after posting it 2 years ago and it's generated a lot of good discussion!

I just bought a NitroFire and will practice up with it for next year's muzzle season. I'll let you know how it goes.

I would like to see someone reload the plastic cartridges with BH209, to see if it can be done. You could plug the end with a thick vegetable wad or glue a piece of cardboard over it. It would greatly reduce the cost of using the rifle.

I was wondering that too but i see the chance the primer pocket and "flash hole" wont last very long. Maybe 2-3 uses? Eventually the hole will erode to the point its eroding the primer pocket too.

Someone could make some metal cartridges of the same dimension.

I need to check to see how close the dimensions are to a 410 shotgun shell.

.50-90%20Sharps.gif

They are really nice. I think you are going to like it

The way I see it, if it’s legal and that gets you in the woods go for it. I do shoot an inline and a traditional cap lock. I prefer my sidelock, but that’s me. You shoot the fire stick, cool we can still be friends.

Several states have now made it legal, including my home state of NC.

They had to re-define what is a muzzleloader to make it legal, because the propellant is not loaded from the muzzle. So really, it is only one half a muzzleloader, and the other half is a breechloader.

Others could play the same game. We could put a screw into the side of the barrel of a 458 Win Mag barrel to act as a bullet stop, just like the shelf in the NitroFire muzzleloader. Chango-Presto, now we have a half muzzleloader. We can reload the cases with propellant and put a thick vegetable-wad on the end as a plug and load the smooth-sized bullet or sabot from the muzzle end. Legally, it should pass the same test as the NitroFire with the Firestick.

Let me go see what extra parts I have laying around out in my shop...

Pope Rifle

He did the same thing back in the 1800s with CF rifles.
https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/harry-m-pope-accurate-rifle-barrels/367671
As related by Harvey Donaldson, Harry’s method of loading a breechloader from the muzzle was as follows: First insert a dummy cartridge (with the mouth of the case plugged) into the rifle’s chamber. Then carefully place the bullet into the rifle’s muzzle and push it down until it touches the dummy round. Withdraw the ramrod slowly so as not to suck the bullet part way up the barrel. Replace the dummy cartridge with a loaded one that had a grease wad on top.

So technically any state that allows it also allows you to load them like Pope did. Just dont carry normal ammo with you. Load up the powder and wad in say a 45-70 case then load the bullet thru the muzzle and have at it.

I took a look at the propellant in the Firestick and compared it to BH209 during the last few days. They look exactly the same.

Today I found the SDS sheet for the Federal Firestick. It contains Nitrocellulose and Guanidine Nitrate (corrosive) and Potassium Perchlorate (corrosive), which are the same chemicals found in BH209.

https://www.federalpremium.com/on/d...les/F8000_Firestick_SDS_NA_03242020_FINAL.pdf

If we compare this to the SDS sheet for Blackhorn 209 the truth is revealed.

The propellant used in the Firestick is the same thing as BH209.

I cannot understand why anyone would think corrosive chemicals need to be used in this cartridge, since the burn-rate and mass of propellant can be carefully controlled by the manufacturer??? The pressure could be easily controlled without the corrosive chemicals.

I took a look at the propellant in the Firestick and compared it to BH209 during the last few days. They look exactly the same.

Today I found the SDS sheet for the Federal Firestick. It contains Nitrocellulose and Guanidine Nitrate (corrosive) and Potassium Perchlorate (corrosive), which are the same chemicals found in BH209.

https://www.federalpremium.com/on/d...les/F8000_Firestick_SDS_NA_03242020_FINAL.pdf

If we compare this to the SDS sheet for Blackhorn 209 the truth is revealed.

The propellant used in the Firestick is the same thing as BH209.

I cannot understand why anyone would think corrosive chemicals need to be used in this cartridge, since the burn-rate and mass of propellant can be carefully controlled by the manufacturer??? The pressure could be easily controlled without the corrosive chemicals.
If you’re saying they should have just used smokeless, it’s probably because a lot of states don’t allow smokeless powder in their muzzleloader seasons.

What I posted in the other thread....
Stuck with buying capsules, specialized gun, breech plug and no versatility. No thanks, I will stick with my CVA Scout 45-70 conversion.

Latest posts

Back