What do you think of the Firestick/Nitrofire system?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the wad is nothing more than a poly wad I would think it can be reloaded. BTW the firestick is loaded with T8 powder. My question is what happens to the poly wad? Looking at the design I presume it is shot out of the barrel behind the bullet. If this is the case it would be pretty easy to load it with loose powder and stuff a veggie wad or felt wad in on top of the powder to hold it in place. You wouldn't need a crimp. That would be a far cry cheaper than $3 a pop!firestick.jpg

Last edited:
Good news for making the concept practical if this spurs easy access to reloadable cartridges. The comment that struck me as significant is the Traditions are not selling. I wonder will be addressed by CVA? Obvious problem to me, is the cost of shooting. Actually not just me, as stated yesterday, it seems not a single member of this forum owns one of these guns!

I am mildly disappointed that cva will continue to use the Federal Firestick. They want to sell guns? Then provide a 10 pack of metal cases.

"Actually not just me, as stated yesterday, it seems not a single member of this forum owns one of these guns!" - forebore

Hey, I resemble that remark!!! LOL
For what it's worth, here's my two cents worth from back on 12/23/21 on another thread on the subject, ""What do you think of the Firestick/Nitrofire system?" posted here 12/08/20.

"Only owned the Nitrofire for two months now and carried in the deer woods three days. Seems solidly built and is handy to carry and shoulder up. Took nine shots to sight in new scope to <1" group. Last day of season got fortunate on a decent doe, one shot. So a total of ten shots - short sample size if there ever was one.

Waterproof powder charge
Accuracy
Very very little fouling, easy clean up.
Easy to unload/remove bullet

Not so much:
The Firesticks were hard to find. Lot of calls and driving.
Propellant cost. 32 bucks/10 shots. Add in 209 primer and a decent saboted bullet = 4 bucks+/shot.

I miss the flexibility of being able to tailor the powder loads that I had in my TC Hawken 50 and Firehawk 54 and being able to affordably spend time on the bench dialing them in.

Maine muzzleloader season, being the first two weeks of December, many times means getting wet a bunch of days, especially hunting the thick stuff. The Firestick took misfires off the Murphy's Law list."

fourbore, I'm in full agreement with you about the cost of the firesticks and I'm glad to see there are folks on the forum that are thinking out the feasibility of either reloading the plastic casing or even better as you mentioned, developing metal reusable cases.
I think we saved the shot casings so when I can get my hands on them again, I'll add some pictures and measurements here to explore the ideas of reinstalling the poly wad and recrimping the casing.

Last edited:
I think they will follow the lead of all those “short magnum, and super short mag” center fire cartridges and disappear in short order. Many guys jumped on the .270, .300, 375, super short magnum phase mania that afflicted the gun “writers” a few years ago. Now they are stuck with expensive rifles, which take expensive and hard to find ammo, and actually are no better than most of the conventional, .270w, .308, 30-06, 7mm mag, and .338mag ammo and guns that were more readily available and cheaper
some smart guy once said“ a fool and his money are soon parted”

Attachments

• A858DE91-A495-4102-A59D-6FA4AFAD794C.jpeg
    A858DE91-A495-4102-A59D-6FA4AFAD794C.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 12
I bought one last fall and found out from the AZGFD that it is illegal here in AZ to use during the dedicated muzzleloader season... Top reason to get it was that I am handicapped and have terrible balance. One less thing to do that is awkward is good for me. Also, I was going to gain access to the muzzleloader season that has less competition from the number of hunters.. Oh well, need to move on and sell this setup and do something else...

I bought one last fall and found out from the AZGFD that it is illegal here in AZ to use during the dedicated muzzleloader season... Top reason to get it was that I am handicapped and have terrible balance. One less thing to do that is awkward is good for me. Also, I was going to gain access to the muzzleloader season that has less competition from the number of hunters.. Oh well, need to move on and sell this setup and do something else...
Sorry it didn't work out for you. Another reason why folks should read the muzzleloader regulations for the state they plan to hunt in.

I actually called the regional department before I bought it and they said it was okay.. A few months later I talked to a game warden at the gas station and he said it was not legal since the powder charge does not load through the muzzle... Such ambiguity!!

Tennessee changed to "projectile must load thru the muzzle" just recently. Its now legal there. Still illegal here but i just dont care. Alternative season allows CF handguns if i wanted a "easier" loading option. Plus smokeless 40cal is legal in all our seasons. A 50cal Fiddlestick would be a huge down grade.

Virginia also changed the muzzleloader laws to allow this. They also changed to .40 caliber minimum requirement. I'm not buying any so no concern to me as well. I like how my guns shoot and kill deer just fine!!

Last edited:
I just watched the video on it. Overpriced gimmick in my opinion
I am relatively new to muzzleloading. This is my second season, using an old Knight that I got in trade from a friend. I have been looking at newer muzzleloaders that do not require a wrench to remove the breech plug, but now the Nitrofire by Traditions has caught my eye. It's legal as a muzzleloader here in VT and the Firestick powder system looks super convenient and easy to use.

Has anybody used one? Any other thoughts? I'd like to hear other people's opinions. Thanks.
I think it’s a great gun easy to use and very accurate. It’s also a lot easier to clean. I don’t see any downside to it

Latest posts

Back