What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you ,,it is going to look cool if you could see it up close it has almost a fish scale it's Marblewood it's got real pretty dark lines all through it it's kind of hard to describe very hard wood,, going to be a pretty muzzleloader

Ok so my tires got here late but they are on sooooo.......Tomorrow im going to look at a new place to shoot. Its 3 acres he says and he already has paths cut for his Polaris Ranger. 40min drive isnt too bad especially with a huge house to relax in before/after shooting.

I haven’t got as heavy as 495 (yet) but my .451 super shoots 450 & 460’s really well. Also haven’t tried any type of wad. Though I do have plenty to try. Have you seen much of difference with or without a wad? Bull shop just sent me an order of some Goulds that I’m eager to try once weather permits.

I haven’t got as heavy as 495 (yet) but my .451 super shoots 450 & 460’s really well. Also haven’t tried any type of wad. Though I do have plenty to try. Have you seen much of difference with or without a wad? Bull shop just sent me an order of some Goulds that I’m eager to try once weather permits.
Yes, these .082” thick poly wads seal really well and cut the groups for me by half or 2/3 over no wad, wool or thinner ploy wads!

C87B6556-6E44-438E-95D8-34713BF8347B.jpeg

Thank you ElDiablo, I'll have to fish around and see if I have anything similar lying around.
Got to range out 300 yrds and got the knones scope to hit a 6 in paper plate using 3 whitehots and 240 gen. Cheap shot sabot off bench bags with a hold over on target I was with a friend that was showing off with 30_06 bolt hitting the same target I said I can do it to. It took me 3 shots and then it was game on .he was shocked that I was hitting the plate after that we switched guns and he had trigger issues . I said his gun was fine as I hit the plate with his gun. He said my gun was to touchy of a trigger for him .my trigger is about 2 inch pounds with no creep. I was proud of the cva accura v 2 50 shooting sabots at that range. He said the recoil was crazy I told him that's a 240 gen. Bullet . He said that was to much for him to deal with and gave up after that . Then I said you will never fellt the kick while shooting at a deer. He'd said he was impressed at accuracy of my gun . All I can say it made me proud that he bowed down to black powder rifel shooting that good. He is a good shot with center fire rifles, and he realized that black powder can perform like that. It changed his thought on black powder rifles.

Last edited:
I finally was able to get some free time to shoot the flintlock rifle yesterday morning.
I've only shot round ball so far and wanted to try some conicals.
First two shots were with 45 caliber TC Maxi balls in a Harvester black 50 caliber sabot. They loaded kinda too easy and weren't very accurate, with one shot striking high and the other low at 50 yards.
Next up were the Hornady PA conicals. I managed to put the first 3 shots in a pretty nice group. I love those little pills, seems like they shoot great in whatever gun I try them in.
By late morning, the temperature was about 80 degrees around here. A bit too much too soon, I'm not really complaining though, Lol.
I got off 6 or 7 shots and wanted to do just one more before I packed up.
When I pulled the trigger, no kaboom, I checked everything and saw that the flint had shattered. I know it can happen but it was the first time for me.
After replacing the flint, I got off my last shot no problem.
I could have stayed at the range all day but man, it was sure getting warm.

Daydreamed at work about my day at the range this weekend! Funny, I'm 60+ yrs. old and feel like a kid, all anxious about trying out loose powder after 20 years of pellets. Gonna be interesting. I'll definitely have paper and pencil for taking notes.
I understand completely, I remember when I made the switch from well over a decade of using Pyrodex RS & P, mostly pellets, to T7. It was like being content driving around in a Pinto until you finally get to drive a Porsche for the first time.

I just did some rasping of the underhammer buttstock for the past 40 mintues. I have gotten the wrist area where action installs in it done of the heavy take down work. Just need the final sanding. I started on the butt plate area. I have plenty of work on it, like several hours of rasping/sanding & reinletting. I am left handed n i don't like the right handed cheek weld. So i will take it down also

I understand completely, I remember when I made the switch from well over a decade of using Pyrodex RS & P, mostly pellets, to T7. It was like being content driving around in a Pinto until you finally get to drive a Porsche for the first time.
Most definitely looking forward to the Porsche!
Hoping I'm not making to many changes to quickly with the powder change and the forthcoming muzzle brake.

Broke in the new Lyman .54 barrel. Shot no excuse bullets and patched round balls. Both shot pretty good for the first time out with a new barrel. The no excuses were .542”, i think i need more like .544” as the 542” went down to easily..will be looking for some of the larger size to try…8A703CAB-0CAA-4450-952D-A6E0A3C3C2A9.jpegB1A0B67B-EFF4-4957-B20A-00CC3D059818.jpeg

Latest posts

Back