What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made up some more "Alternate" powders to try out. So far I have tried four different compositions usually used for Fireworks that are actually usable in firearms. None are as strong as BP though, the advantages being how fast they can be made and how clean they burn.

In an inline though, the advantage, should you care to do it, is that you can load and fire regular patched round ball using the same powder measure settings and it works. The lower powered powder reduces the velocity to where the faster twist in a rifle made for Sabots is no longer too much for the round ball to handle.

Of course you can always use less BP instead.

Steverscout, it's a 45-70 CVA Scout that Jeff Hankins will be installing his H.I.S. breechplug so I can use it for SML during our VA muzzleloader season. It does not have a muzzle break on it. I plan on using sabots with 40cal 195 to 225 grain bullets and maybe 250 grain bullet to bore. I have VV 110, 120 and 130 powders on hand and have researched loads for each. I am mainly looking to ensure I have alternatives to shortages of Black, Pyrodex, 777 and BH209. However,the smokeless powder Hankins recommends, IMR 4198 and even 4227 is unobtainable in my area and online, it figures!

Last edited:
Steverscout, it's a 45-70 CVA Scout that Jeff Hankins will be installing his H.I.S. breechplug so I can use it for SML during our VA muzzleloader season. It does not have a muzzle break on it. I plan on using sabots with 40cal 195 to 225 grain bullets and maybe 250 grain bullet to bore. I have VV 110, 120 and 130 powders on hand and have researched loads for each. I am mainly looking to ensure I have alternatives to shortages of Black, Pyrodex, 777 and BH209. However,the smokeless powder Hankins recommends, IMR 4198 and even 4227 is unobtainable in my area and online, it figures!
Nice! Yeah every powder under the sun is in short supply as far as ive seen i bought several packs of 777, pyro but failed to get black ive been looking at making my own from cowboy charcoal and the other 2 ingredients from either tractor or blue seal feeds but its a process. Sounds like you've got a process nailed down pretty well! Post some pics when its done šŸ‘ good luck!

Sounds great,

I got all the guns out this afternoon for their 3 month rub-down with WD-40corrosion preventative. No rust anywhere. A patch thru each barrel came back clean. Some of these have been shot on a half regular basis, but some not at all for several years. Nice just feeling them.

Sweet ElDiablo! You get the trigger housing from CFN Parts? I picked up my long awaited early style firing pin bushing from him and then forgot I had broke my trigger housing and have a newer style on it. Locks up but not to my liking. Went back the next day and housing was gone!! You must've scored it!

Last edited:
Sweet ElDiablo! You get the trigger housing from CFN Parts? I picked up my long awaited early style firing pin bushing feom him and then forgot i had broke my trigger housing and have a newer style on it. Locks up but not to my liking. Went back the next day and housing was gone!! You must've scored it!
Yes - got an email notice that they had one in and grabbed it. I really prefer the solid blued and stainless Omega trigger guards.

Thanks Gents, I have a cast one with the "wedge" in the back, for some reason when locking it up without a primer it feels loose, no issue with a primer installed. When changed out to the early style with the post in the back it locks up tight both ways. So I thought I'd get an early style housing to solve my perceived problem. I've tried adjusting the link assy but it makes no difference with the wedge style housing.

You got a good deal from Scott, El Diablo!

Back