What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a YouTube video yesterday about my new "Nitro-Breech" muzzleloader, which was approved for hunting by the State of North Carolina this week. It is similar to the Nitrofire muzzleloader but uses smokeless powder in 45-70 cases, which can be easily reloaded. You could put BH209 in the cases if some states require it. However, BH209 does contain a corrosive oxidizer.

Yes, I know it is not really a "muzzleloader", but my state and many others have approved this idea. I could have called it a "mule", because it is half muzzleloader and half breechloader.

Can someone really build a "Self-Cleaning" muzzleloader? (Maybe accidentally...)

That is way cool. Congratulations on a really easy to use and a brilliant way to reload that can be used over and over. Very cost effective and practical. What bullet, model number, were you using in the video. Second what is your price for conversion to muzzy. And again you’re a super guy that thinks outside the box.
Also a great person to do business with and an enabler…i feel them damn wanta goose bumps coming……..

That is way cool. Congratulations on a really easy to use and a brilliant way to reload that can be used over and over. Very cost effective and practical. What bullet, model number, were you using in the video. Second what is your price for conversion to muzzy. And again you’re a super guy that thinks outside the box.
Also a great person to do business with and an enabler…i feel them damn wanta goose bumps coming……..
Thank you for the kind words. Sometimes they are rare these days.

I was using some 40 caliber 200 grain Hornady bullets I got from Midway USA. I have also used some 225 grain star tip .400" and 225 grain .402" plastic tip bullets from Fury Bullets that shot very well in this rifle.

(Hornady 200 grain SST) https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002232695?pid=450531

I am going to try to do the conversion for about $200 plus tax. I also have a few 45-70 cases for sale. They are getting harder to find now. People can send me a PM if they are interested.

Last edited:
Would that work as well on other break-open 45-70 guns say the h&r or the t/c 45-70 guns?Would other smokeless powders work too?

It should work on about any 45-70 break action rifle. I was on the phone a few minutes ago with a guy who has a H&R Handi-Rifle. The Lee Reloading Manual has several different smokeless powders listed for the 45-70 Trapdoor and Rolling-Block rifles.

Cast up a bunch of .54 cal balls, pure junk yard lead. Brand new Lee mold, worst piece of crap ever. Mold doesn’t line up, one alignment pin fell out, and top sprew cutter will not tighten down. I will pick out good ones and the rest will go in my ball mill.
Food for thought, why do they want you to load ball with flat side, sprew cut out? That doesn’t seem to arrow dynamic as it seems they would fly better with sprew cut facing backwards? Any thoughts? Ty shortyIMG_3937.jpeg

Back