What size rings for a Disc Elite with 44 mm scope?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimReaper

Reaction score
I recieved a Knight Disc Elite last week and my new Simmons Aetec scope with a 44 mm objective lens. The rings supplied with the Knight which are nice don't provide quite enough height and I don't know exactly what type or size they are.

So I'm off to Gander Mtn and possibly Cabelas tomorrow and was wondering if anyone know's what size rings may work with this setup that come in silver.

ML season opens tomorrow and I'm running out of time, hopeing to get things mounted and sighted in soon. I still have my Woverine to use if I don't get this one setup, but want to try out the new ML.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

GrimReaper said:
I recieved a Knight Disc Elite last week and my new Simmons Aetec scope with a 44 mm objective lens. The rings supplied with the Knight which are nice don't provide quite enough height and I don't know exactly what type or size they are.

So I'm off to Gander Mtn and possibly Cabelas tomorrow and was wondering if anyone know's what size rings may work with this setup that come in silver.

ML season opens tomorrow and I'm running out of time, hopeing to get things mounted and sighted in soon. I still have my Woverine to use if I don't get this one setup, but want to try out the new ML.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

You need medium rings for scopes up to 44mm. Several types and makes of silver. Weaver, Leupold, Burris....

I know using Warne Maxima bases and Warne QD rings will give you plenty of room to mount your 44mm scope.

Couldn't find any silver rings at Cabelas that would workout right, so I went ahead and ordered the Medium Warne's at Brownells.

Thanks for the help

GrimReaper said:
Couldn't find any silver rings at Cabelas that would workout right, so I went ahead and ordered the Medium Warne's at Brownells.

Thanks for the help

Good choice!

With only a couple of exceptions all my rifles/muzzleloaders are dressed out with Warne rings & bases. One thing about Warne that I like is that I've never had Warne Rings put marks on my scopes. Besides that the QD's always zero back after the scope is removed and they never slip. :wink:

Different brands of rings have different heights for medium and high. Check out Midway (www.midwayusa.com) and they list the height dimension for most of their rings. I just finished a lot of research on this topic because I had an older centerfire rifle that needed higher rings to allow for proper ejection of the fired case.

Anyway, do some research and some measuring and you should be able to fugure out exactly waht you need.

It may have been Midway were I found the height of the Warne's. They keep the scope about 1 to 2 mm above the barrel, makes for a tight fit of the scope cover, so I'll probably end up replacing the scope caps with something else in the future.

I still haven't found the time to get to the range and there's only one week of ML season left, hopefully I'll get out Monday for some sighting in and hunting.

Just to be sure I am also setting up a New Knight Disc Elite in .50 Cal. and have a Simmons 3-10x44 Mag ordered for it but looking for the right rings I am looking at Warne 1 Inch but want to be sure the Mediums are the ones I want to keep the scope as close to the barrel as I can. I used Cabela's Live Chat and they say high rings but again those that now do the chat have really no idea they just input the info and a computer gives them the info back. I was hoping for a set of medium but since I don't have the rifle or scope in my hands yet I am just trying to get all items I need in hand when it does get here.

So which ones for sure, MEDIUM??? Don't want to have to return them for the ones that will work... Just want to be SURE...

Regards

LFM

The medium Warne's I purchased from Brownells will keep your scope as close to the barrel as you could possibly mount. As I stated my scope cover included with my Simmons Aetec with a 44 mm objective won't go over the front of the scope.

I ordered the medium with the quick attachment base from Brownells, as they were the only ones with silver Warnes in the medium size in stock.

The Knight bases provided with the gun from Sportsman Guide work fine with the Warne rings.

Shot the ML today and was real happy with it's performance and the scope. to bad the hunting wasn't worth a darn, basically turned into a long walk in the snowy fields and woods and turned into a heck of a workout.

Hope your's shoots as well as mine. I was using 100 gr of loose T7 and some TC 240 grain XTPs, didn't have much time to try other combos out and wanted to get into the woods :D

So the Caps will not fit with the medium rings... Are the caps you are using similar to the Butler Creek flip open covers I am always liking to have the front cover on when hunting in the snow in case snow covers the lens...

So if I am wanting a cover I need to go with a high set of rings to get the clearance??? If I choose the Warne Rings??? Any others that might be slightly higher to get the clearance for a cap/cover..???

Thanks,
Mike /LFM

The medium Warne's I purchased from Brownells will keep your scope as close to the barrel as you could possibly mount. As I stated my scope cover included with my Simmons Aetec with a 44 mm objective won't go over the front of the scope.

Here's what I'd get concerning scope covers...

2005rangepics%20238.jpg

I'm sure your Simmons will come with the cover that has the two elastic bands that attach the two different covers. You would need the high rings if you want to stick with those covers. I was going to try filing/sanding off a little of the plastic, but haven't tried that route, but it may work. I won't be able to try that out until Wednesday at the earliest.

I've never used Butler Creek caps but was thinking of giving them a shot. Wasn't sure how they attached to the end of the scope. If they fit over the end and are very thick they may not work, if they screw on like a sun shade, they'll work fine, as the sun shade that was included with my Aetec goes on just fine.

If not I'll probably use a rubber bikini cover, I use one on the scope on my Ruger bolt action and it stays on well and will work with my setup, just wouldn't be as quick as the flip up Butler Creeks.

Big the neoprene cover may be an option too. didn't think about that.

LFM, I just checked out Brownells the height of the medium Warne's are 9.5 mm, the highs are 13.3 mm.

I may have 1 to 2 mm between the barrel and the scope, I'm not sure that 4.8 mm would put the scope up to high to really matter, and you could probably use whatever cover/cap setup you want.

Just thought you may want to know the heights.

Just a quick add on. I have a Millett 44 MM Objective scope. Using medium rings I have 1/8" between barrel and scope. This is using Warne QR rings and Warne bases on my Disc Extreme. Also the bell measures exactly 2" outside diameter. Not sure if it helps any but there it is.

Back