WHAT STATES IS THE SMOKELESS MUZZLELOADERS LEGAL IN

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A LIST OF WHAT STATES THE SMOKELESS MUZZLELOADING IS LEGAL IN OR ILLEGAL IN, WHICH EVER LIST IS SHORTEST?

billy Smokeless is not allowed in Virginia during the muzzleloading season. However, I hear a lot of smokeless rifles going off in the distance during our muzzeloading seasons. I dont think they are muzzleloaders though!

As a quest of a well known sportsmens club in an adjoining county last year during the late muzzleloading season I couldnt help but notice I was the only hunter carrying a muzzleloading rifle. After a lengthy discusson with my hosts concerning their hunting tactics I never got invited back.

Maybe Leutenant Bise with the Virginia Game Commision has one valid point in Virginias prohibiting the smokeless muzzleloading since I heard they use a powder residue test when inspecting possible illegaly taken game.

iisabigone

Smokeless legal in Alabama and Kentucky during muzzleloader seasons! :D

Smokeless is legal here in Arkansas during the muzzleloading season. :wink:

I think it may be legal in Texas too, Chuck ought to know the answer to that.

I think it may be legal in Texas too, Chuck ought to know the answer to that.

I really don't since I just hunted in firearms season with the big boys! :lol: I don't even know if Texas HAS a muzzleloader season....

In the top B & C whitetail states as recently listed in the American Hunter, smokeless muzzleloading is legal in all of them in muzzleloader seasons. Regs change from year to year; as the VA DGIF themselves are recommending smokeless be made clearly legal in muzzleloading for deer and bear, the rest is just a formality.

A few western states, like Oregon and Washington State, do not allow 209 primers, and you need an "exposed" ignition system-- so not only is smokeless a ways off, you can't use an Omega, Encore, etc., to muzzleload with or a Savage.

Smokeless is ILLEGAL in a muzzleloader during the primitive weapon season in MS, but it IS legal in a breach loading replica gun shooting a metallic cartridge during the primitive season! Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. :?

Smokeless is LEGAL in a muzzleloader during the regular rifle season.

black3

1shot1kill as soon as Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries announces smokeless is allowed during our muzzleloading season I will be placing an order.

Right now Im thinking along the lines of a stainless and laminate savage.

Im not really looking for blazing speed but accuracy, consistancy, dependability and a break from all of this spitting and swabbing I been doing for the last 30 years.

iisabigone

billyzink said:
WHAT ABOUT MINNESOTA AND WISCONSIN? LEGAL IN THOSE TWO STATES?

Yes. Open or peep sights only in Minnesota, 1X scopes allowed in Wisconsin.

What states do you hunt?

Back